This keto blackened salmon recipe is a very easy low carb and gluten-free salmon dish to make and can be quickly made for a spicy dinner or lunch. This is very easy to make and takes about 15 minutes to prepare and cook.
The Chief Taster has been on a few business trips in the Caribbean and has been enjoying blackened salmon during his trips, so I thought that I would try to make it. I finally have got the blend of spices right (according to him).
Can you eat salmon on a low carb diet?
Salmon is a fantastic ingredient for a keto and low carb diet as it has zero carbohydrates, has a high protein content and is full of the right type of fats. A great source of omega-3, it's also very easy to cook too!
Why do they call it blackened salmon?
The term blackened salmon does not mean that it's burnt, but rather that spice mixture turns very dark when cooked. The seasoning mix originates from New Orleans and there are many variations. Tweak the spices and herbs to your own taste.
The key to this salmon recipe is the spice mix. The spices used in this recipe are cayenne, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, white and black pepper, thyme, basil, cumin and oregano. If you want to reduce the heat, halve the cayenne pepper. We like our spice level fairly hot in the Caribbean!
The salmon filets we used were skinless but you can easily make this dish with skinned salmon. If you use salmon fillets with skin, cook it first skin side down.
How to make keto blackened salmon
This salmon recipe is cooked in a pan but it can be grilled on the BBQ too. A word of warning if you grill it, the spice mix comes out hotter. I would brush more butter over the salmon on the grill to keep it moist too.
- Brush the salmon fillets on both sides with melted butter.
- Spoon the blackened spice mix over the fillets.
- On a medium-high heat, fry the salmon fillets in a large cast iron skillet or pan on both sides.
- Serve and enjoy!
What to do with leftovers?
Although this dish is best served freshly made, if you have any leftovers, store them in an airtight container and keep the cooked salmon in the refrigerator. Gently reheat in a skillet or the microwave.
Another option is to flake the cooked salmon and add mayonnaise and sour cream for a creamy and spicy addition to a salad or sandwich filling.
Store left over spices in a jar for later or double up the recipe to keep a jar of the spice mix to hand.
This spice mix works great on chicken and cauliflower too.
Substitute the paprika with smoked paprika for a deeper smoky flavor.
Keto Sides for Blackened Salmon
Serve this easy keto salmon dinner with a simple salad, grilled asparagus or a few sides. Try this salmon dish with these low carb side dishes:
- Green beans and walnuts
- Garlic Parmesan Keto Roasted Broccoli
- Keto Roasted Cauliflower with Dijon & Lemon
- Tomato Burrata Salad
- Spicy Zucchini Cauliflower Rice
OTHER KETO SALMON RECIPES TO ENJOY:
Salmon is a great low carb food. Have you tried any of these other keto salmon recipes yet?
Watch the video
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
- 4 Skinless salmon fillets
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ cup butter, unsalted melted
- Mix all the spices in a small bowl.
- Brush the salmon fillets on each side with butter and sprinkle the spice mixture on each side of the fillet.
- Drizzle the remaining butter on one side of the fillet.
- Cook the salmon, butter side down, in large pan for 2-5 minutes on a high heat until it is blackened. Turn and cook the other side for 2-5 minutes until that is blackened.
- Eat and enjoy!