This blackened salmon dish is a mix of spices that give the black appearance yet packs a spicy taste.
This is a very easy salmon dish to make and can be quickly made for a spicy dinner or lunch.
The Chief Taster has been on a few business trips in the Caribbean and seems to have blackened salmon most visits so thought I would try it. I finally have got the blend of spices right (according to him) and am now wondering on what vegetable I could try this on so I can taste it myself (as I am a vegetarian). I tried eggplant but that was not a success. The search is on. Or perhaps I could use this spice mix in a soup....now that's a thought. I did try the seasoning in a vegetable stir fry and loved it. This is very easy to make and takes about 15 minutes to prepare and cook.
Blackened salmon spice mix
When I make this, I often double up the spices to store the leftovers in a jar. There's something satisfying about having your own spice blend to hand! I've used this on chicken strips too for the Chief Taster which he enjoyed but think he actually prefers the spices with the salmon.
The spices used are cayenne, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, white and black pepper, thyme, basil, cumin and oregano. If you want to reduce the heat, halve the cayenne pepper. We like our food spicy in the Caribbean!
OTHER SALMON RECIPES TO ENJOY:
Watch the video
- 4 Skinless salmon fillets
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup butter, unsalted melted
- Mix all the spices in a bowl.
- Brush the salmon fillets on each side with butter and sprinkle the spice mixture on each side of the fillet.
- Drizzle the remaining butter on one side of the fillet.
- Cook the salmon, butter side down, in large pan for 2-5 minutes on a high heat until it is blackened. Turn and cook the other side for 2-5 minutes until that is blackened.
- Eat and enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.