A spicy cauliflower rice dish that is full of spice, heat and flavour! Although I made this as a side dish, it would make a hearty main dish too. I had a bowl of it by itself for lunch whilst the Chief Taster enjoyed his as a side to some chicken. Both of us were happy, so that’s something! Wine wasn’t involved either so another tick!
I added the zucchini as I wanted a vegetable that would go well with the spices without absorbing them too much. Yes, I’m looking at you eggplant. So my good friend zucchini stepped up. Feel free to add another vegetable or even omit it. Just enjoy the spices!
You might want to serve this spicy cauliflower rice with a side a yogurt and cucumber dip to help cool your mouth from the spices. If I made it again I would definitely be reaching for the yogurt pot. It’s quite nice to have a smooth dip along with something spicy.
I don’t mind a bit of heat and spicy but if you are more on the mild side of taste, you may want to use less spice and perhaps omit one of the heat spices. Perhaps put the chilli aside? Or add bit by bit, tasting the zucchini mixture as you go along before you combine it with the cauliflower rice.
I enjoy cauliflower rice as a quick side dish and usually stir fry it but am starting to prefer the texture when it baked in the oven. The heat from the oven dries out the water in the cauliflower and gives it a great texture. If you are in a rush, cook the cauliflower rice in the microwave. Our microwave isn’t working so my days of popping something quickly are on hold. Which is frustrating as I fancied a muffin in a mug dish the other morning!
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 zucchini trimmed and cut into cubes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 jalapenos deseeded and chopped
- 6 spring onions finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees
- Trim the leaves and stalks from the cauliflower and cut into florets.
- Make the cauliflower rice by either grating the florets, or using a food processor to blitz them.
- Place the cauliflower rice on a parchment paper lined baking tray and drizzle with half of the oil.
- Bake for 15 minutes, turning over half way through with a spoon or spatula.
- Heat half of the olive oil in a frying pan.
- Add the zucchini and cook for 5 – 8 minutes until slightly golden.
- Add the jalapeno and spring onions and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the spices and stir thoroughly. Set aside.
- When the cauliflower rice is cooked, stir in the spicy zucchini mixture until all of the cauliflower is coated.
- Eat and enjoy!