A roasted broccoli dish with garlic and Parmesan cheese that is delicious as a side dish or even just by itself.
I enjoy roasting vegetables as it seems to enhance the flavour and beats a plateful of boiled vegetables any day! The flavours of garlic, lemon and Parmesan lift this green vegetable to another taste level. It’s sometimes a way of serving vegetables than can convert the haters. If your loved ones are expressing an aversion to broccoli, slip them a plate of roasted broccoli.
After playing around with this dish I ended up splitting the grated Parmesan cheese into half, with one half roasted with the broccoli, the other tossed in the finished dish. This results in the dish having crispy pieces of cheese as well as warm, slightly melted cheese.
Although this makes a great side dish, you could eat this by itself. I had a bowl of just this for one lunch and was happy with it. For the meat eaters amongst you, you may want to add some bacon or chicken to this dish.
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into florets (about 4 cups)
- 3 tblspns coconut oil
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Juice and rind of 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 tspn salt
- 1/2 tspn black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 220C/425F degrees.
- Toss the broccoli in the coconut oil.
- Add the garlic and season with the salt and pepper.
- Place on a baking tray and roast for 20 minutes.
- Take the broccoli out of the oven and sprinkle half of the Parmesan cheese over the florets then place back in the oven to bake for a further 5 minutes.
- Place the lemon juice, rind and remaining Parmesan in a bowl.
- Remove the broccoli from the oven and toss in the lemon and Parmesan mixture.
- Eat and enjoy!
- Nutritional Info per serving – 452 Calories, 35g Fat, 23g Protein, 16g Total Carbs, 5g Fibre, 11g Net Carbs