These air fryer chicken fajitas are a quick and easy dish that taste just as good as they would in a skillet. Throw these together for a quick, easy and healthy keto Mexican meal!
Some people think cooking chicken in an air fryer is cheating. I reserve judgement on that, but I think that chicken fajitas made in an air fryer is one of the best things you can do with it. It's one of my go-to dishes for nights when the Chief Taster wants a chicken dish and I want a no fuss dish.
You could try this air fryer recipe with other meat too if you are not a fan of chicken.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
One of the great things about this dish is that it has minimal ingredients which are low carb and gluten-free. We use a homemade fajita seasoning but you could use a store-bought fajita seasoning mix too.
- We used a red bell pepper and an orange bell pepper for the colour, but you could use yellow. I used what I had in my fridge at the time!
- The chicken is skinless and boneless breast cut into strips.
How to Make Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas
I found that this does not make your air fryer too messy and fairly easy to clean which is always a bonus.
A homemade fajita seasoning is mixed with oil, then the sliced vegetables and chicken are tossed in this. You cook, serve and eat. It's that simple.
Mix the spices with the olive oil
Add the chicken, onion and peppers to a boil with the spices.
Place in the chicken strips and veggies in the air fryer basket
Serve and enjoy
How Long to Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas?
The time to cook the chicken fajitas will vary slightly depending how thin and evenly you slice the chicken breasts. We cooked ours for 10 to 12 minutes at 200C/400F degrees.
- We serve our with low carb tortillas. Ours are homemade but you can use store-bought if you are lucky enough to have a supply of them (I have supermarket envy!).
- Add a side of guacamole or spicy chipotle salsa.
- Serve with lime wedges so you can squeeze a drop or two of lime juice over the chicken veggie mixture.
- Shredded cheese can be sprinkled over the top of the fajitas when served in a tortilla.
- A creamy jalapeno cream cheese dip is great for slathering on a tortilla before adding the chicken fajita mix.
- To complete the meal, pour yourself a sugar free margarita.
- Dessert could be a Mexican flan or Keto Margarita Ice Cream.
That's a hearty dinner for anyone!
Tweak this air fryer chicken fajita recipe with your own touches.
- Add other vegetables to the mix such as sliced zucchini or portobello mushrooms.
- Increase the spice heat flavor by adding a teaspoon cayenne pepper or chopped jalapenos to the mixture.
How to Store Leftovers
Keep any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge and it should last up to 2 days. Reheat in the air fryer for 5 minutes at 180C/350F degrees.
More Low Carb Air Fryer Recipes
Enjoy other meals and appetizers with your air fryer.
Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas
- 2 chicken breasts skinless and boneless
- 2 bell peppers red, yellow or orange
- ½ medium red onion
Fajita Spice Mix
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat the air fryer for 5 minutes as per the manufacturer's instructions.
- In a small bowl, mix the spice ingredients with the olive oil.
- Slice the peppers, onions and chicken breasts. Try to keep the chicken breast slices evenly sliced.
- Place sliced vegetables and chicken in a large mixing bowl and add the fajita seasoning and mix to coat them all in the spice.
- Place the mixture into your air fryer basket in a single layer for even cooking and cook at 200C/400F degrees for 10-12 minutes, tossing half way through.
- Remove from the basket and serve with low carb tortillas, shredded cheese, sour cream and guacamole.
Leave a Reply