This no margarita ice cream has all the flavours of a classic Mexican cocktail without the added sugar making this a great low carb ice cream treat for adults.
This has been adapted from a Nigella margarita ice cream recipe by using a low carb sweetener and orange extract to make it a low carb dessert. This is an easy recipe to make as it does not require an ice cream maker but is just as smooth and creamy.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Is Tequila Keto-Friendly?
Most pure distilled spirits, including tequila, do not contain carbohydrates or sugars. However, it's important to note that some flavored or mixed tequila drinks may have added sugars or high-carbohydrate mixers, which can affect the overall carbohydrate content and may not be as suitable for a strict ketogenic diet.
When consuming tequila on a keto diet, it's best to drink it neat or with sugar-free mixers to maintain the low-carb and sugar-free nature of the spirit. As always, it's essential to moderate alcohol consumption and consider any potential interactions with your specific dietary needs or health conditions.
If you make mason jar ice cream, the ingredients are very similar with a cream base.
- Sweetener - we use allulose as the low carb sweetener as it does not give any icy aftertaste when making ice cream. Other low carb sweeteners such as monk fruit or Swerve can be used. Powdered is preferable.
- Cream - heavy cream or whipping cream.
- Tequila - white or golden tequila can be used
- Orange extract - in place of Triple Sec, we use our homemade sugar free orange extract. For store bought halve the quantity and adjust to taste.
How to make low carb ice cream
To make this margarita ice cream, it is as simple as mixing the ingredients and whipping the cream. Chill until firm and eat. The tequila helps ice crystals from forming and makes a creamy ice cream for adults.
Dissolve sweetener in lime juice
Add the cream and other ingredients and whisk until firm.
Place the mixture into an airtight container and freeze.
Serve and enjoy
Make sure you use a good quality heavy cream. In the UK I would use cream called double cream. This is thicker than whipping cream and in some countries is called thickened cream. If all fails use whipping cream.
Fresh lime juice and the rind is the best option for flavour but you could use lime juice from a bottle (checking for no added sugar)
This is no churn keto ice cream is best eaten freshly frozen. Either make it overnight to enjoy the next day or first thing in the morning for a dinner party.
Serve a low carb ice cream float (for adults) and place a scoop or two in a tall glass of low carb soda (lime flavour is a great option)
Keep the ice cream in an air tight container and store in the freezer. It should keep for a month but will become more icier with time. If the frozen ice cream is too hard, let it stand at room temperature for 10 minutes until soft.
Other Low Ice Cream Recipes
Margarita Ice Cream
- 125 ml lime juice
- 2 tablespoons limes, zest
- 2 tablespoons tequila
- 3 tablespoons orange extract half for store bought
- 1 cup erythritol, powdered
- 500 ml double cream or heavy cream
- Pour the lime juice, orange extract and tequila into a bowl and add the powdered erthyritol. Mix well until blended.
- Add the cream and lime zest and whip until firm.
- Spoon into an airtight container and put in the freezer for at least 4 hours or ideally overnight.
- Scoop, eat and enjoy!
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.