These air fryer stuffed peppers are filled with spicy ground turkey and cheese for an easy and quick low carb dinner.
This recipe is great for when you are hungry but don't want to spend hours in the kitchen. My favourite type of midweek recipe!
If you have any leftover cooked ground turkey, this recipe is a great way to use it too! Add a sauce, top with cheese and dinner is ready in 10 minutes!
Carbs in bell peppers
Did you know that the carbs in bell peppers vary in colours? The lowest in carbs is the green which has 2.9 net carbs for a 100g serving. Next is red at 3.9g net carbs with yellow bell peppers being 5g net carbs.
The downside is that green peppers are not as sweet as the colourful peppers and we prefer the greens in salads rather than being stuffed. But it's a personal choice!
How to make air fryer stuffed peppers
The ground turkey was flavoured with an enchilada sauce but other sauces or spices could be used. Once the filling for the bell peppers is cooked, the peppers take just 10 minutes in the air fryer to cook for a quick and easy dinner.
Low carb enchilada sauce
We had a jar of homemade enchilada sauce the fridge leftover from another recipe, so it was an easy option to use. The recipe for this is listed in the recipe card.
Keto friendly enchilada sauce is available is some stores or online. Check the ingredients for sugars though!
Can you make this recipe ahead?
The ground turkey or other filling you want to use can be made ahead. When you are ready to eat, fill the bell peppers, top with the cheese and cook in the air fryer.
If you have any leftover over peppers, they can be stored in the fridge, then reheated either in the air fryer or microwave.
What to serve with stuffed peppers
In place of the ground turkey, use ground beef, pork or chicken. The meat must be cooked first before stuffing the peppers.
Replace the enchilada sauce with a low carb Marinara sauce and add Italian seasoning too.
If you don't have an air fryer, the stuffed peppers could be cooked in the oven. They would take about 25 minutes at the same temperature.
More low carb stuffed pepper recipes
Although these pepper recipes are baked in the oven, they could be made in the air fryer too.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Air Fryer Stuffed Peppers
- 3 bell peppers
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium onion peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese grated
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon monkfruit sweetener or other low carb sweetener
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepepr
Make the Enchilada Sauce
- In a medium saucepan heat the butter.
- Add the seasonings and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the tomato sauce and low carb sweetener.
- Simmer for 5-8 minutes. If the sauce is too thick, add water until you reach the consistency you prefer.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning to your own preference.
Make the Ground Turkey Filling
- In a large saucepan or skillet heat the olive oil on a medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 2 minutes until soft.
- Add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Add the ground turkey and cook, stirring occasionally until the meat is cooked through.
- Stir in the enchilada sauce.
Cook the Peppers
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F for 3-5 minutes.
- Cut the tops off the peppers and scoop out any seeds. Set the pepper tops to the side.
- Spoon the turkey mixture into the peppers.
- Place the filled peppers upright in the air fryer basked and cook for 5 minutes at 200C/400F.
- Sprinkle cheese on top and continue cooking the stuffed peppers for 5 more minutes, until the peppers are tender and the cheese is melted.
- (Optional) add the pepper tops to the basket when you add the cheese.
- Serve with chopped parsley (optional).
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.