This keto falafel recipe is made with cauliflower and cooked in the air fryer for a healthy low carb version of the traditional Middle Eastern dish.
Cauliflower rice is used to make arancini, vegetarian meatballs and a quiche crust, so why not a low carb falafel! Once you add the falafel herbs and spices, you have a delicious low carb snack or light meal.
Join the friendliest keto & low carb recipe and support Facebook Group HERE!
Is falafel keto friendly?
Falafel is normally made with chickpeas and however delicious these may be, they are sadly not keto friendly due to the carbs in the chickpeas. However, if you are a lover of falafel and following a keto diet you can still enjoy it with this air fryer falafel recipe.
How to make keto falafel
I prefer to cook the cauliflower rice before making the falafels. I made my first batch with raw cauliflower rice and then air fried them. Although delicious, they had a little bit of a cauliflower bite for my taste.
I found the mixture moist enough with the cooked cauliflower not to need an egg to bind the mixture. This may vary depending how moist your cauliflower rice is. If you find your mixture too dry and crumbly to form a falafel patty, add an egg.
Almond flour helps bind the mixture, but you could use coconut flour or oat fiber if you have a nut allergy. Just add a bit at a time until you get a firm consistency.
What to serve with keto falafel
A simple tahini sauce is great with the falafels but serve them with a few side dishes too:
Frozen, steam in the bag cauliflower rice can be used for this recipe.
If you don't have an air fryer these can be baked. Place on a parchment paper lined baking tray and bake for 30 - 35 minutes, turning over half way through cooking.
Wet, damp hands can help when shaping the falafel.
Make the falafels ahead of time and store in the fridge until you are ready to bake.
Other air fryer keto recipes
Air Fried Keto Falafel
- 2 cups cauliflower rice half a cauliflower head
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 small onion peeled & chopped
- ½ cup fresh parsley
- 4 teaspoons coriander, ground
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 3 cloves garlic peeled & chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Rice the cauliflower by placing the florets into a food processor and pulsing until you have small shreds. Or use a box grater to do this.
- Cook the rice by heating the coconut oil in a large skillet on a medium heat, add the cauliflower rice and gently saute for 2 – 3 minutes. Cover with a lid and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Remove any excess moisture by squeezing the cauliflower rice in a large paper towel or a nutbag (if you have one).
- Place the cooked cauliflower rice, almond flour, onion, garlic and seasoning in a food processor. Blitz until the mixture is blended.
- Remove the mixture from the blender and roll into large walnut shaped balls. Slightly flatten and set aside.
- Lightly spray the air fryer tray with oil and place the falafel in a single layer on the tray.
- Give the falafel a light spray with oil and cook at 190C/375F degrees for 15 minutes. Using tongs, flip the falafel over half way through.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information