If you are looking for an easy eggplant recipe, this spinach eggplant lasagna will hit the spot.
This spinach eggplant lasagna recipe uses eggplant slices in place of pasta sheets, making it a delicious low carb dinner. A spinach and ricotta cheese filling are used as the main filling making this a less cheesy lasagna that the traditional recipe but is still a hearty and tasty dish.
I will confess that when I first made this spinach eggplant lasagna recipe many years ago, I did not cook the eggplant slices beforehand. Yep. I used layers of thinly sliced raw eggplants and I do not recommend this at all.
The eggplant slices are best grilled as that seems to use less oil than frying them. I find that when you fry the eggplant slices, they suck up the oil like a sheet of strong kitchen towel and the recipe that calls for 3 tablespoons of olive oil turns into 3 cups of olive oil!
I did not use a cheese sauce with this eggplant lasagna but chose a spinach and ricotta cheese filling instead. As I wanted to bake a vegetarian eggplant lasagna without the noodles I thought a heartier filling would work better. You could always add a layer of cooked mince to this lasagna though.
Other Eggplant Recipes You May Enjoy
- 2 eggplants thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups spinach, cooked
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup marinara sauce low carb`
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1/4 cup Mozzarella cheese grated
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F degrees.
- Place the sliced eggplant onto a baking tray and brush with the olive oil on both sides.
- With a hot grill, place the eggplant under and grill until both sides are golden (turn over the eggplant once one side is cooked).
- Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix the spinach, ricotta, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Put a layer of the eggplant at the bottom of a greased baking dish.
- Spread some of the spinach mixture over the aubergine and cover in a layer.
- Cover this layer with a few spoons of low carb marinara sauce
- Repeat the layers until used up.
- Sprinkle the top with the Parmesan and mozzarella cheese and bake for 30-40 minutes.
- Eat and enjoy!