If you are looking for an easy eggplant recipe, this spinach eggplant lasagna will hit the spot.
This spinach eggplant lasagna recipe uses eggplant slices in place of pasta sheets, making it a delicious low carb dinner. A spinach and ricotta cheese filling are used as the main filling making this a less cheesy lasagna that the traditional recipe but is still a hearty and tasty dish.
I will confess that when I first made this low carb lasagna recipe many years ago, I did not cook the eggplant slices beforehand. Yep. I used layers of thinly sliced raw eggplants and I do not recommend this at all.
How to make spinach eggplant lasagna
The eggplant slices are best grilled as that seems to use less oil than frying them. I find that when you fry the eggplant slices, they suck up the oil like a sheet of strong kitchen towel and the recipe that calls for 3 tablespoons of olive oil turns into 3 cups of olive oil!
I did not use a cheese sauce with this eggplant lasagna but chose a spinach and ricotta cheese filling instead. As I wanted to bake a vegetarian eggplant lasagna without the noodles I thought a heartier filling would work better. You could always add a layer of cooked mince to this lasagna though.
The easy steps to make this recipe:
- Slice and cook the eggplants. You could make them into strips instead of circles.
- Mix the spinach and ricotta mixture and spread it over the eggplant slices.
- Spoon low carb marinara sauce over the spinach layer
- Repeat the layers and sprinkle the top with the Parmesan and mozzarella cheese. Bake!
Other Eggplant Recipes You May Enjoy
Low Carb Eggplant Cannelloni
Keto Eggplant Chips
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Spinach Eggplant Lasagna
- 2 eggplants thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ cups spinach, cooked
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup marinara sauce low carb`
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- ¼ cup Mozzarella cheese grated
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F degrees.
- Place the sliced eggplant onto a baking tray and brush with the olive oil on both sides.
- With a hot grill, place the eggplant under and grill until both sides are golden (turn over the eggplant once one side is cooked).
- Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix the spinach, ricotta, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Put a layer of the eggplant at the bottom of a greased baking dish.
- Spread some of the spinach mixture over the aubergine and cover in a layer.
- Cover this layer with a few spoons of low carb marinara sauce
- Repeat the layers until used up.
- Sprinkle the top with the Parmesan and mozzarella cheese and bake for 30-40 minutes.
- Eat and enjoy!