These easy keto chaffle bread sticks are slather with garlic butter and melted cheese for a low carb bread stick. Ready in under 10 minutes these are a quick and easy low carb and gluten free appetizer.
Easy low carb bread sticks are made with just eggs, mozzarella, almond flour and herbs. Garlic butter with melted cheese make these little sticks a quick and easy keto bread option. Enjoy as an appetizer or a snack. At only 0.7g net carbs a stick, you could happily eat the whole batch for a meal. The Chief Taster and I were fighting over these garlic cheese bread sticks as they are very addictive. I made the mistake of letting him know that they can be easily made to eat under 10 minutes. I foresee late night demands after a night out in my future….
WHAT IS A CHAFFLE
If you have not yet heard of a “chaffle” it is a current low carb favourite recipe on the internet and is a simple recipe made with a waffle maker. The basic keto chaffle is just eggs and grated cheese (often Cheddar or Mozzarella). I like to think of it as another form of the Fathead dough without the cream cheese. Although I am tempted to put a Fathead dough in the waffle maker and see what happens.
Almond flour is used in this chaffle bread stick recipe as I found the pure egg and cheese version a bit flimsy for my liking and I wanted something firmer. However delicious as the egg and cheese chaffle was, I needed a firmer texture. I tried coconut flour but think that is more suited for a sweeter keto chaffle and preferred the texture of my chaffles made with almond flour.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO MAKE A KETO CHAFFLE?
I happily use my regular square waffle maker. A cheap and cheerful one from of the electrical stores here in St Lucia. A lot of internet posts are raving about the Dash mini waffle maker to make a chaffle. They make a small waffle at a time and this recipe would make 2 waffles. If you are using the Dash mini waffle maker, you will need to use only half of this chaffle batter at a time to make the one. The Dash mini waffle makes circular waffles. I am happy with my rectangle shapes. It really doesn’t matter what shape the waffle maker is. I found the rectangle shape perfect for cutting into strips to make a tasty garlic cheese bread stick.
I have been using mozzarella cheese for my chaffle experiments in the kitchen. I have enjoyed some made with cheddar cheese too and found them more suitable for a savoury recipe.
HOW TO SERVE CHAFFLES
Chaffles are wonderfully versatile. This phrase amuses me as there is a British advert for potato waffles with the tagline of “waffly versatile”. If it were not for the fear of a large food company throwing their lawyers at me, I’d recycle this popular phrase with “chaffly versatile”. A chaffle can be used in many ways and is used as a low carb bread option. A popular way is to use a chaffle is to replace a burger bun. I’ve used it for my breakfast avocado toast, as a sandwich and our current favourite, a sweet dessert.
OTHER LOW CARB BREAD STICK RECIPES TO TRY
Keto Chaffle Garlic Cheesy Bread Sticks
- 1 medium egg
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese grated
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, unsalted softened
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese grated
- Turn on your waffle maker and lightly grease it (I give it a light spray with olive oil)
- In a bowl, beat the egg.
- Add the mozzarella, almond flour, garlic powder, oregano and salt and mix well.
- Spoon the batter into your waffle maker (mine is a square double waffle and this mixture covers both waffle sections. If you are using a smaller waffle maker spoon half the mixture in at a time).
- I spoon my mixture into the centre of my waffle maker and gently spread it out towards the edges.
- Close the lid and cook for 5 minutes.
- Using tongs, remove the cooked waffles and cut into 4 strips for each waffle.
- Place the sticks on a tray and pre-heat the grill.
- Mix the butter with the garlic powder and spread over the sticks.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella over the sticks and place under the grill for 2-3 minutes until the cheese has melted and bubbling.
- Eat immediately! (Although we have eaten this heated up but are much nicer freshly made)