These grilled eggplant stacks are layered with tomato, basil pesto and Feta cheese for a colourful low carb eggplant dish.
This low carb eggplant recipe is delicious and hearty by itself for a light lunch but serve with a side salad or garlic bread sticks for a great low carb dinner. Eggplant slices are great for an eggplant Parmesan, but try them with colourful layers of vegetables and cheese.
How to make eggplant stacks
For the basil layer, I used a creamy avocado basil pesto but you could substitute this with chopped fresh basil. However, I really recommend the creamy pesto. I loved the layers of colours too as I like food to be pleasing to the eye as well as the palate.
You could make this on the BBQ too. Just cook the eggplant slices on the BBQ, assemble and throw back on for the feta to cook.
I blot my eggplant slices after cooking on kitchen paper to remove some of the oil. They act as sponges whilst cooking and will soak up lots of oil but this oil can soon ooze out! You could grill them too as sometimes I find that it makes it less oily.
If you don't have Feta cheese, Mozzarella would be a great substitute. The end result would be a creamy, melted cheese topped eggplant stack.
Other eggplant recipes
Grilled Eggplant Stacks
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 tomatoes sliced
- 3 tablespoons avocado basil pesto
- ¾ cup Feta cheese crumbled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Slice the eggplant into ½ inch round slices.
- Brush with the olive oil and season with the salt and pepper.
- Grill the slices until golden on both sides.
- On a baking tray, place the 2 largest eggplant rounds and spread with the creamy basil pesto.
- Place a tomato slice on top and sprinkle with feta.
- Repeat with another later, then top with the remaining eggplant and feta
- Place under the grill/broiler until the feta has softened/browned.
- Serve immediately
Join the friendliest keto & low carb recipe and support Facebook Group HERE!