A great supper dish that is lovely by itself but could also be served with a salad. I ate the whole lot then felt very full.
So perhaps share this rather than scoff it all yourself under the disguise of “research” whilst growling at the husband if he comes close to it. For the basil layer, I used a creamy avocado basil pesto but you could substitute this with chopped fresh basil. However, I really recommend the creamy pesto. I loved the layers of colours too as I like food to be pleasing to the eye as well as the palate. You could adapt this on the bbq too. Just cook the eggplant slices on the bbq, assemble and throw back on for the feta to cook.
As a tip, I blot my eggplant slices after cooking on kitchen paper to remove some of the oil. They act as sponges whilst cooking and will soak up lots of oil but this oil can soon ooze out! You could grill them too as sometimes I find that it makes it less oily.
3 tblspns avocado basil pesto (or pesto or torn basil leaves)
1 large eggplant
2 large tomatoes, sliced
3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
3-4 tblspns olive oil
- Slice the eggplant into 1/2 inch round slices.
- Brush with the olive oil.
- Grill the slices until golden on both sides.
- On a baking tray, place the 3 largest eggplant rounds and spread with the creamy basil pesto.
- Place a tomato slice on top and sprinkle with feta.
- Repeat with another later, then top with the remaining eggplant and feta.
- Place under the grill until the feta has softened/browned.
- Eat and enjoy!
Serves 1 large serving/2 small servings