These grilled eggplant stacks are layered with tomato, basil pesto and Feta cheese for a colourful low carb eggplant dish.
This low carb eggplant recipe is delicious and hearty by itself for a light lunch but serve with a side salad or garlic bread sticks for a great low carb dinner. Eggplant slices are great for an eggplant Parmesan, but try them with colourful layers of vegetables and cheese.
This is an easy recipe that can be grilled, made in the air fryer or even the oven. Once your eggplant slices are cooked it's a quick dish to assemble.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
ARE EGGPLANTS KETO FRIENDLY?
Eggplants can be considered keto-friendly as they are low in carbohydrates and high in fiber. One cup of cubed eggplant contains only 5 grams of carbohydrates and 3 grams of fiber, resulting in a net carb count of 2 grams. Additionally, eggplants are rich in nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants
Just 5 low carb ingredients are used to make this easy grilled eggplant recipe.
- Eggplant - also known as aubergine in the UK, choose a large firm eggplant.
- Tomatoes - We used firm tomatoes but you could substitute these with sundried tomatoes or sugar free marinara sauce.
- Pesto - Normal pesto can be used but we often use an avocado pesto recipe for extra flavor. I like the bright colour of the avocado pesto for this recipe.
- Feta cheese - Crumbled or thin slices of feta cheese are used. These can be replaced with mozzarella for a caprese eggplant stack. Or add a layer of mozzarella cheese on top of the stack for a cheesier taste.
- Olive oil - Avocado oil can be substituted.
HOW TO MAKE EGGPLANT STACKS
You could make this on the BBQ too. Just cook the eggplant slices on the BBQ, assemble and throw back on for the feta to cook.
Slice the eggplants and brush with olive oil
Grill he eggplant slices on both sides until golden.
Layer the slices with pesto, tomatoes and cheese
Bake until tomatoes and cheese are cooked.
If you have any eggplant stacks left over, keep them in an airtight container in the fridge and reheat in the oven or air fryer. They should last the next day but ideally are best served fresh.
The eggplant slices could be cooked in advance, then assemble the stacks when you are ready to cook.
I blot my eggplant slices after cooking on kitchen paper to remove some of the oil. They act as sponges whilst cooking and will soak up lots of oil but this oil can soon ooze out! You could grill them too as sometimes I find that it makes it less oily.
If you don't have Feta cheese, mozzarella would be a great substitute. The end result would be a creamy, melted cheese topped eggplant stack.
The eggplant slices can be cooked in the air fryer instead of grilling.
OTHER LOW CARB EGGPLANT RECIPES
Grilled Eggplant Stacks
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 tomatoes sliced
- 3 tablespoons pesto
- ¾ cup Feta cheese crumbled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Slice the eggplant into ½ inch rounds.
- Brush with the olive oil and season with the salt and pepper.
- Grill the slices until golden on both sides.
- On a baking sheet, place the 4 largest eggplant rounds and spread with the creamy basil pesto.
- Place a tomato slice on top and sprinkle with feta.
- Repeat with another later, then top with the remaining eggplant slices and feta
- Place under the grill/broiler until the feta has softened/browned.
- Serve immediately and top with fresh basil.
Join the friendliest keto & low carb recipe and support Facebook Group HERE!
[…] Grilled Eggplant Stacks […]