Crispy eggplant chips cooked in spices and served with an avocado and lime dip.
I was frying up slices of an eggplant for a vegetable stack and thought to myself, why not make some vegetable chips out of this? For this batch I used my blackened spices mix as I wanted something spicy to go with the avocado dip. You could use any spice you like or just keep it simple and plain. Homemade Cajun seasoning is a great option too.
The eggplant chips were very addictive and I happily munched through a whole batch. Even the skins were delicious too! I tried this with large plump eggplants and long slim ones. It works better on the slimmer ones. The large plump slices did not really seem to crisp up enough. I baked these in the oven but suspect you could shallow fry them too. Eggplants seem to soak up oil like a piece of kitchen roll though, so if you do try to shallow fry them, you might need some more oil.
This is a good use for eggplants that look a bit beyond their prime too! The quality of eggplants here is a bit hit and miss as only a few are grown local and they tend to be a different variety to the UK. I almost stopped cooking with them as I did not like the quality of the last few that I bought. The skins were dreadful. But now thinly sliced and baked I can eat them again!
WATCH THE VIDEO
Eggplant Chips with Avocado & Lime Dip
- 1 thin eggplant
- 4-5 tblspns olive oil
- 2 tblspns ground paprika
- 1 tblspn ground cayenne pepper
- 1 tblspn onion powder
- 2 tspn salt
- 1/2 tspn ground white pepper
- 1/2 tspn ground black pepper
- 1/2 tspn ground cumin
- 1/2 tspn garlic powder
- 1/4 tspn dried thyme
- 1/4 tspn dried basil
- 1/4 tspn dried oregano
- 1 avocado
- 1 tblspn lime juice
- 1/4 tspn salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Mix the seasoning with the oil in a bowl.
- Thinly slice the eggplants into about 1/3 inch slices.
- Dip the eggplants into the seasoned oil mixture and place onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until crispy.
- For the dip, blend the avocado, salt and lime juice until smooth.
- Serve the chips with the dip; eat and enjoy!
- Makes 15 chips
If you enjoyed this recipe you can subscribe to Divalicious Recipes by email and never miss another recipe!