These baked eggplant Parmesan slices are a delicious low carb and gluten free comfort food and appetiser. Serve with a side of marinara sauce or some spicy mayonnaise they are very easy to make.
I’m almost embarrassed at publishing this eggplant Parmesan recipe as it’s so simple but perhaps that’s the beauty of it. You can take this recipe and play around with the flavourings to your taste. Add other herbs and spices to the coating.
As I type this recipe up I have a batch of eggplant slices baking in the oven with a chilli lime powder added to the mix. Hopefully they will be ready by the time I hit the publish button! I’m going to add some lime to mayonnaise as a dip.
Eggplants used to need their bitter juices removed with salt but I find that the ones from the supermarket no longer need that step. If you are using your own eggplants, you may want to add that step in before trying this recipe. Also, if you are using your own grown eggplants, may I just add how jealous I am of you!
How to make low carb eggplant parmesan
Eggplants soak up oil like a sponge and can end up a greasy mess. No oil is used in this recipe, keeping the slices firm and non greasy.
The recipe for these eggplants Parmesan slices is as simple as dipping the slices in egg, a Parmesan and almond flour coating and bake. That’s it. Just so simple and great to make when you are hungry but don’t want to spend ages in the kitchen.
I used almond flour but you could use coconut flour instead. You may want to double dip the eggplant slices in the beaten egg if using coconut flour though. Pork rinds could be used too for the meat eaters amongst you. Just get creative with the coating, bake and enjoy!
OTHER EGGPLANT DISHES TO TRY:
Eggplant Parmesan Slices
- 1 Eggplant
- 25 grams Parmesan cheese grated
- 25 grams Almond flour
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Oregano optional
- 1 Egg beaten
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees
- Cut the eggplant into slices of about 1 cm thick, removing the top and bottom of the eggplant.
- Place the almond flour, Parmesan, herbs, salt and pepper in a bowl and combine.
- Dip the eggplant slices in the beaten egg, then into the Parmesan mixture. Double dip if you want.
- Place the coated eggplant slices on a parchment paper lined baking tray.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, turning the slices over half way through when crispy and brown.