I love moussaka as it combines all my love of vegetables, cheese and creamy yoghurt together. There are many versions of moussaka but this one roasts the vegetables first giving it a lovely taste. I also love the "bite" of the feta cheese on top.
1 large aubergine (eggplant)
2 medium courgettes (zucchini), sliced thickly
2 onions, cut into small wedges
2 red peppers, cored, seeded and chopped roughly
2 garlic cloves, chopped
5 tblspn olive oil
1 tblspn fresh thyme, chopped
2 eggs, beaten
300ml Greek yoghurt
400g can chopped tomatoes
55g Feta cheese
salt and pepper
- Cut the aubergine into slices, about 5mm thick. Put in a colander, and sprinkle with salt. Leave for 30 minutes and rinse under cold water. Pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Preheat the oven to 220C/425F degrees
- Put the aubergines, courgettes, onions, peppers and garlic in a roasting tin. Drizzle over the oil, toss together and sprinkle over the thyme. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven for 30-35 minutes, turning half-way through cooking, until golden brown and tender. When the vegetables are cooked, reduce the oven temperature to 180C/350F degrees.
- Beat the eggs and yoghurt together and season.
- Put half the vegetables in a layer in a large ovenproof dish. Spoon over the canned chopped tomatoes, then the remaining vegetables. Pour over the yoghurt mixture and crumble the Feta cheese on top. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes-1 hour until golden brown.
- Eat and enjoy!