This low carb version of cannelloni uses thin slices of eggplant in place of pasta. The filling is a mixture of pesto and cheese for a creamy and delicious dinner. This eggplant recipe will fast become a family favourite.
Although I filled the eggplant slices with mainly cheese with pesto you could add other fillings such as ground chicken or ricotta cheese. The grilled eggplant is flexible enough to roll once cooked and easy to fill. I have used slices of grilled eggplant for a lasagna recipe in place of pasta sheets and with this eggplant cannelloni recipe it’s just another variation, just rolled up.
I used home made pesto for this eggplant recipe as it is easy to make (and nicer than the jar stuff). What you use is up to you. The pesto gives this dish a little kick as it could be a little too bland without it.
We find this eggplant recipe a very filling dish and served it with a small side salad. Sometimes I just enjoy this by itself as I find myself full after a few eggplant cannelloni “tubes”. It’s such an easy dish to make that I often turn to this when I want something delicious for dinner with minimum fuss. Slice, grill, stuff and bake!
How To Make Eggplant Cannelloni
It’s just as simple as slicing an eggplant, grilling the slices, then slathering a filling over them. Roll, cover with tomato cheese, more cheese and bake!
What to Serve with Eggplant Cannelloni
Although this eggplant recipe is hearty enough to enjoy by itself, if you have guests over and want a few side dishes, here are a few ideas. Dessert is up to you!
- 2 eggplants large
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup tomato sauce low carb
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese grated
- 3 oz Cheddar cheese grated
- 4 tablespoons pesto sauce no sugar
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- Slice the eggplants into thin slices, brush with olive oil and place under the grill.
- Grill on both sides until golden (brush with oil when turning over the slices).
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Spread the pesto over the eggplant slices.
- Sprinkle the grated Mozzarella, Cheddar and Parmesan over the eggplant slices. (Set aside some of the cheese for sprinkling over the dish)
- Roll the eggplant slices up and place in a greased baking dish.
- Spoon the tomato sauce over the eggplant rolls.
- Scatter the remaining cheese over the eggplant rolls.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and golden.
- Serve immediately.