A roasted cauliflower halloumi salad recipe that adds the saltiness of Halloumi cheese in a citrus, basil and caper dressing. It is a hearty and uplifting dish that will make you reach for another portion.
This cauliflower halloumi salad is a great low carb and gluten free dish for spring and summer with the zesty flavours of the lemon dressing. The basil brings a distinctive flavour but the capers are the ingredient that lifts this to a salty, sharp savoury dish.
I just love capers in salad dressings and have another warm cauliflower and lemon salad dish which is also easy to make. Capers enliven any dish or sauce with a sharp piquant taste. If you enjoy tartar sauce you will enjoy a dish with capers in it is my general rule of thumb. When shopping in the large “Costco” type supermarkets I always keep an eye out for a large jar of capers as they last a long time in the fridge. I like to have them on hand to add to dishes for a little extra something. Plus, they are an essential ingredient for the olive and cheese bread dish that I just adore.
The roasted cauliflower halloumi salad recipe came about as the fridge was getting low before the weekly shop and I was looking at a cauliflower and a packet of Halloumi cheese. At first I toyed with cooking them in different dishes, then thought about combining them. The idea of a cauliflower and Halloumi burger was my first thought but I need to think about that one a little bit more as the seasoning might be important. So, when in doubt, roast the cauliflower and add the rest of the ingredients!
Low Carb Salad
Sumac was added to give the dish a little extra zest flavour. Although it's not essential as not every supermarket stocks this. If you do have it, sprinkle some on your salads to give it a slight lift. Over the morning eggs is also another treat.
This dish was served warm and we were both fighting over the Halloumi chunks in the serving dish. Using our forks like swords to pick out the cheese, all our table manners disappeared.
More low carb salad recipes
Roasted Cauliflower Halloumi Salad
- 1 medium cauliflower cut into florets
- 1 250g Halloumi cheese cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ Lemon - juice
- 1 teaspoon sumac
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic peeled & chopped
- 4 tablespoons Fresh basil chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Place the cauliflower on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Roast for 20-30 minutes until golden, turning over half way through.
- Heat the tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan. Fry the halloumi on a medium heat, turning over when golden, until all sides are cooked.
- Mix the dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk.
- Place the roasted cauliflower and halloumi in a bowl. Pour the dressing over and mix well.
- Serve warm or cold.