Tartar sauce is a perfect keto condiment to serve with fish. We also enjoy it with grilled chicken and I love it with cheese.
Making your own home made keto tartar sauce is easy and so delicious you won’t go back to store bought! Serve with a side of fish sticks, spicy fish fritters or coconut shrimp.
What is Tartar Sauce?
Tartar sauce originates from France and is a creamy mayonnaise sauce flavoured with pickles, capers and herbs. Store bought sauces will often have preservatives and may sneak sugar into them. Home made is the better option.
Tartar Sauce Variations
Tartar sauce can have a few variations which you may want to play with.
- Sour cream - reduce the mayonnaise in half and replace with the sour cream.
- Greek Yogurt - make sure it is full fat and add half a cup.
- Low Carb Sweetener - add to taste
- Finely chopped onion - I used onion powder but the traditional tartar sauce has finely chopped onion.
- Dash of hot sauce - Adjust to taste if you like your sauce to have a touch of heat.
- Lemon juice - this can be used in place of the pickle juice.
More keto sauces
These low carb sauces can be served with fish, chicken or vegetables. Add with sour cream for a dip too!
Keto Tartar Sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons dill pickles
- 1 tablespoon pickle juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoon capers
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Parsley, fresh, chopped
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- Finely chop the capers and the dill pickles.
- Place the chopped capers and pickles in a bowl and add the remaining ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Keep in the fridge in a sealed container or glass jar.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Trying this tonight as I was looking fourtee a tartare sauce recipe ans bought in the pickles and capers!!! How long will it keep in the fridge please?
It should keep in the fridge for about a week. Hope you enjoy it!