This grilled watermelon halloumi salad is a refreshing summer dish. The sweet watermelon balances perfectly with the salty halloumi and balsamic mint dressing.
A simple salad for summer that can be cooked on the BBQ or on a griddle pan. It's now firmly on my BBQ menu!
Grilling watermelon was a first for us but it works so well and once you grill this fruit you may be inspired to try it with other ingredients, dressings or marinades. I want to try grilled watermelon in a spicy BBQ sauce next!
IS WATERMELON LOW CARB?
Watermelon can be enjoyed on a low carb diet as it has 7g net carbohydrates per 100g serving. As it is mainly water, it is a refreshing fruit for summer. Watermelon is also a good source of vitamin A & C.
If you are strictly counting your carb intake, keep an eye on the portions of watermelon as it's easy to keep eating this with gusto!
Just a few ingredients made this easy low carb watermelon salad. All you need is watermelon slices, halloumi cheese, mint and salad dressing ingredients. Clean simple ingredients.
- Watermelon - Cut into slices and keep the rind on when grilling
- Halloumi Cheese - Halloumi cheese is commonly made in Cyprus, Turkey and Greece. The cheese is salty, but also has a pleasant melting texture that gives it a unique grilled flavor
- Mint - Fresh mint leaves gives this dish a fresh summer taste.
- Simple Salad dressing - Just olive oil, balsamic vinegar with salt and pepper make the dressing for this recipe.
HOW TO MAKE GRILLED WATERMELON HALLOUMI SALAD
Quick and easy, the cheese or watermelon have. enough moisture in both to not require any oil for grilling.
Slice the watermelon and halloumi and place on a grill until golden on both sides.
Chop into even pieces, add the dressing and mint. You are ready to eat!
Although this is a simple salad, you can try a few variations.
- Feta cheese - Swap the halloumi cheese for feta. Grill in large slices than cut into squares.
- Lime & Chili - Season the watermelon slices with lime and chili before grilling
- Kebabs - Cut the halloumi cheese and watermelon into even cubes and place on a skewer for grilled kebabs
- Basil - Swap the fresh mint for fresh basil leaves.
MORE LOW CARB SUMMER SALADS
Arugula & Strawberry Salad with Feta
Avocado Strawberry & Halloumi Salad
Grilled Chayote Zucchini Salad
Roasted Cauliflower Halloumi Salad
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Grilled Watermelon Halloumi Salad
- 4 slices watermelon about ¼ inch thick
- 9 oz Halloumi 1 pack
- ¼ cup mint chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Remove the seeds from the watermelon slices.
- Slice the halloumi lengthways in half.
- On a medium-high heat BBQ or griddle pan, cook the halloumi and watermelon slices for about 5 minutes each side, until golden brown each side.
- Cut the halloumi into cubes and remove the rind from the watermelon. Cut the watermelon in cubes about the same size as the halloumi.
Mix the Dressing
- In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Place the watermelon and halloumi cheese cubes in a serving dish.
- Spoon the dressing over the watermelon and scatter the chopped mint leaves over the salad.
- Serve immediately.
Leave a Reply