This scrumptious cranberry walnut chicken salad recipe is a go-to for busy days. It’s loaded with flavor, but it’s also healthy and delicious. A great low carb and gluten-free salad too.
This tasty low carb chicken salad is wonderful for making ahead for lunch, dinner, or for a picnic meal. Made with cranberries, walnuts, fresh herbs and mayonnaise, this chicken salad is tart, creamy, crunchy and filling.
Is there anything better than a chicken salad with mayonnaise? It's a great way to use left over chicken or rotisserie chicken too! The Chief Taster has been enjoying this for his packed lunch and I've enjoyed how easy it is too make too!
Cranberry Chicken Salad Ingredients
Using cooked chicken and a few pantry ingredients you can have a quick and easy salad.
- Cooked chicken - we poached chicken breasts with peppercorns and a bay leaf, then shredded it. Rotisserie chicken is just as easy to use.
- Walnuts - for extra flavor, toast the walnuts before use.
- Cranberries - we used dried cranberries but fresh could be use. When using dried cranberries, check the packet for additional sugars. Or use home made dried cranberries.
- Plain Greek Yogurt - this could be substituted with sour cream.
- Mayonnaise - home made mayo is always our favourite as there is no added sugar and we prefer the taste.
How to Make Cranberry Walnut Chicken Salad
This is a quick and easy recipe to make with leftover chicken in under 30 minutes.
Mix the dressing in a large bowl.
Mix the chicken, nuts and cranberries with the dressing.
How to Serve Chicken Salad
This salad can be served simply with chopped salad leaves or also use it in single Romaine lettuce leave as lettuce cups or lettuce wraps for a delicious appetizer.
This easy chicken salad will last up to 3 days and should be stored in the fridge in an air tight container. The flavor does develop the next day too.
Chicken Salad Variations
This chicken salad can be tweaked with other ingredients and flavors. A few suggestions are:
- Chopped celery
- Leftover turkey
- Chopped green or red onions
- Toasted pecans
More Low Carb Salad Recipes
If you enjoy a low carb salad, try one of these recipes.
Cranberry Walnut Chicken Salad
- 3 cups cooked chicken shredded
- ½ cup walnuts toasted
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup homemade mayonnaise
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dill, chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Chop the cooked chicken.
- In a large bowl mix the dressing ingredients together until smooth.
- Add the chopped chicken, walnuts and dried cranberries.
- Serve, or store covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days before serving.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.