This walnut blue cheese salad is a simple yet tasty salad that is enjoyable enough to eat on its own. It’s a great healthy quick lunch too.
Pears are often served with a walnut blue cheese salad but as they are not low carb friendly we have omitted them. If you are not counting your carbs, feel free to add a few slices of pear to this tasty salad.
Although this is such a simple salad I was in two minds whether to publish this as it’s just too easy to make. I have been eating this walnut blue cheese salad a lot whilst the Chief Taster is away as it’s easy to make and not a lot of washing up was involved. I have found it great when I am hungry, want something full of flavour but don’t want to spend ages in the kitchen on a meal for one.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
CARBS IN WALNUTS
Not all nuts are low in carbohydrates but walnuts are suitable for a low carb diet with a 1oz (28g) serving being 2.1g net carbs.
Walnuts are a nutritional powerhouse being high in calcium, potassium, magnesium and omega-3 fatty acids.
When you are looking for a quick tasty salad fix, throw lettuce, blue cheese and walnuts in a bowl! Voila!
- Salad leaves - we use a mix of baby salad leaves with baby spinach. Arugula would be a great lettuce to use.
- Olive oil - Avocado oil can be used too.
- Walnuts - Toasted gives them extra flavor. Pecans make a great substitute too.
- Lime Juice - Lemon juice can be substituted.
- Blue cheese - many varieties of blue cheese can be used.
TYPES OF BLUE CHEESE
There are many types of blue cheese with the flavors ranging from mild to strong. A few suggestions for this salad are:
- Roquefort - A salty ripe cheese from France
- Stilton - A creamy cheese that comes in white and blue varieties from England and pairs well with walnuts.
- Gorgonzola - A soft creamy blue cheese from Italy.
- Danish Blue - A strong blue cheese with a firm texture from Denmark.
- Saint Agur - A soft creamy cheese with a strong blue cheese flavor from France.
- Cambazola - A milder blue cheese with the appearance of a Brie cheese from Germany.
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST WALNUT BLUE CHEESE SALAD
Whisk the salad dressing
Place the salad leaves on a plate
Scatter the walnuts and blue cheese. Drizzle the dressing over the salad.
Serve and eat!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH THIS BLUE CHEESE SALAD
As enjoyable on it's own for a light light, serve this salad with a mini spinach feta quiche or roasted chicken.
MORE LOW CARB SALAD RECIPES
If you are looking for a simple low carb salad, you may enjoy these other recipes:
Cranberry, Chicken and Walnut Salad
This recipe was posted in April 2018. The photographs and content have been updated but the recipe remains the same.
Walnut & Blue Cheese Salad
- 1 ½ Cups Lettuce any variety
- ½ cup baby spinach
- ½ cup Blue cheese crumbled
- ½ cup Walnuts, chopped or halved toasted
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil (or other dressing oil)
- 1 Teaspoon Lime juice
- ¼ Teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- ¼ Teaspoon Black pepper
- Mix all the dressing ingredients together
- In a bowl place the lettuce
- Scatter over the walnuts and blue cheese
- Pour the dressing over the salad and lightly toss.
- Eat and enjoy
I just made this salad I added grapes delicious dressing, will be making this again... thank you
Delighted you enjoyed it!
Really tasty 🙂
Nice salad dish Angela ... thank you