Try this easy, cheesy keto Mexican chicken casserole full of shredded chicken, tomatoes, spices and black soy beans, baked to perfection with melted cheddar cheese, it's a satisfying, spicy keto-friendly meal.
This tasty keto Mexican chicken casserole has a rich and savory flavor profile with a mild spicy kick, thanks to the use of Mexican seasonings and diced tomatoes with jalapeno chilies. The chicken adds a hearty and meaty taste, while the black soy beans serves as a low-carb substitute for traditional beans. The cheddar cheese contributes a creamy and slightly tangy note as it melts and forms a golden crust.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Use left over cooked chicken or rotisserie chicken to make this easy dish and you have a meal ready in under 30 minutes. You can also customize it by adding ingredients like sliced olives, diced avocado, or hot sauce to suit your taste. Enjoy!
- Chicken - we used shredded poach chicken breast, but any other cooked chicken can be used.
- Chopped tomatoes - canned tomatoes or even a homemade tomato salsa.
- Black Soy beans - a low carb option for beans. We used the tinned beans.
- Cheddar Cheese - other firm cheeses such as Monterey Jack can be used.
- Jalapenos - fried or tinned.
Carbs in Black Soy Beans
Black soybeans are relatively low in carbohydrates, making them a suitable option for low-carb and keto diets. On average, a half-cup (about 85 grams) of cooked black soybeans contains approximately 8 grams of total carbohydrates and around 7 grams of dietary fiber. This means that it has approximately 1 gram of net carbs (total carbs minus fiber) per half-cup serving.
Please note that the exact carb content may vary slightly depending on the specific brand and preparation method, so it's a good idea to check the nutrition label on the package for precise information.
How to make a Keto Chicken Casserole
This is an easy chicken casserole recipe that can be made ahead and baked when you are ready to eat. Or bake ahead and reheat.
Mix cheese, tomatoes, beans and spices in a bowl.
Add shredded cooked chicken.
Spoon into a baking dish and bake.
Serve and enjoy.
Allow the casserole to cool to room temperature before storing it. This helps prevent condensation inside the storage container, which can make the casserole soggy.
Transfer the casserole to an airtight container. You can use a container with a lid or cover the casserole with plastic wrap and then aluminum foil.
Place the airtight container in the refrigerator. Properly stored, the casserole can stay fresh for up to 3-4 days. If reheating leftovers in the oven, cover the casserole with foil to prevent excessive browning.
Freezing the keto casserole
If you want to store this low carb chicken casserole for a longer period, you can freeze the casserole. Use a freezer-safe container and label it with the date. It should stay good in the freezer for up to 2-3 months. When ready to use, thaw it in the refrigerator before reheating.
What to serve with keto Mexican chicken casserole
When serving Keto Mexican Chicken Casserole, you can complement it with various keto-friendly side dishes to create a well-rounded and satisfying meal. Here are some ideas:
- Guacamole: A classic keto-friendly option that adds creaminess and healthy fats. Serve with sliced cucumber or bell pepper for dipping.
- Cauliflower Rice: A simple side that pairs well with the casserole and helps soak up the flavorful sauce.
- Avocado Salad: A salad made with avocado, tomato, red onion, and cilantro, dressed with lime juice and olive oil.
- Salsa: A low-carb salsa can add a fresh and zesty element to your meal. You can use it as a topping or a side.
- Keto Coleslaw: A keto coleslaw made with keto-friendly ingredients.
- Cheese Crisps or Pork Rinds: These can serve as crunchy, keto-friendly "chips" for dipping in salsa or guacamole.
- Sour Cream: A dollop of sour cream can enhance the creaminess and cool down the spiciness of the casserole.
- Fresh Cilantro: Garnish your casserole with fresh cilantro for added flavor and a pop of color.
- Keto Margarita: If you'd like a beverage, consider a keto-friendly margarita.
Keto Mexican Chicken Casserole
- 3 cups shredded chicken
- 14 oz canned tomatoes
- 3 jalapenos, deseeded and sliced
- 1 cup black soy beans, canned
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 ½ cups Cheddar cheese or Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350F/170C degrees and lightly grease a baking dish or casserole dish. We used a 9 x 13 inch dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the shredded chicken, cheese, sliced jalapenos, black soy beans and spices. Mix well.
- Add the shredded cheese and stir thoroughly.
- Spoon the chicken mixture into a baking dish and bake for 20-25 minutes until the top is golden and bubbling.
- Serve and enjoy!
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.