Many years ago, I used to make this dish but used peanuts and a not so friendly cheese sauce. So I have revived this with toasted cashews and took away the choux cheese sauce and replaced it with a more carb friendly one. We both love cabbage and to pour a cheese sauce over it is just divine to us. Add some nuts for a little extra taste and voila!
I used to like to bake this in a small deep dish and layer the cabbage, cheese sauce and nuts like a lasagne,but did not have one to hand. So used a large shallow dish and did it as one layer, but the results were just as tasty. This is a great supper dish for those chilly evenings! Or you could have this as a side dish if there are enough of you. So it goes in both categories..
1 medium white cabbage
¼ cup butter
½ cup double cream
½ cup cream cheese
½ cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
¼ cup Cheddar Cheese, grated
½ cup cashew nuts, unsalted
½ tspn white pepper
½ tspn salt
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Slice the cabbage thinly, place in a large saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 12 minutes.
- In another saucepan, add the cream and butter and melt on a low heat.
- Add the cream cheese and the Parmesan Cheese. Season with the salt and pepper. Cook until the cheese has melted.
- Place a frying pan on a medium heat and add the cashews to the pan. Toss frequently until slightly golden for about 5-7 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Place the cabbage in an oven proof dish, add the cashews, then pour the cheese sauce over it. Sprinkle with the Cheddar Cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown on the top.
- Eat and enjoy!
Hi, when you say slice the cabbage thinly, would you please give me more details? No quite sure what you mean? Hows it suppose to look?
As thin as you would a chunky coleslaw. Think of it as using the cabbage ribbons in place of noodles, for a baked noodle dish.
Okay, I understand! In the picture it wasn't clear to see how you were slicing it! Thanks Angela, appreciate the quick response.. Making this yummy dish this week for our weeks meal! Cheers my friend, 🙂
Hope you enjoy it! It's one of my favourite comfort food dishes! (Sometimes we use roasted peanuts instead of the cashews too).
Fabulous I have been baking this for years and lost the recipe, so thank you. We love it too!!
Glad you like it too! Perfect comfort food for me!