Many years ago, I used to make this dish but used peanuts and a not so friendly cheese sauce. So I have revived this with toasted cashews and took away the choux cheese sauce and replaced it with a more carb friendly one. We both love cabbage and to pour a cheese sauce over it is just divine to us. Add some nuts for a little extra taste and voila!
I used to like to bake this in a small deep dish and layer the cabbage, cheese sauce and nuts like a lasagne,but did not have one to hand. So used a large shallow dish and did it as one layer, but the results were just as tasty. This is a great supper dish for those chilly evenings! Or you could have this as a side dish if there are enough of you. So it goes in both categories..
1 medium white cabbage
¼ cup butter
½ cup double cream
½ cup cream cheese
½ cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
¼ cup Cheddar Cheese, grated
½ cup cashew nuts, unsalted
½ tspn white pepper
½ tspn salt
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Slice the cabbage thinly, place in a large saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 12 minutes.
- In another saucepan, add the cream and butter and melt on a low heat.
- Add the cream cheese and the Parmesan Cheese. Season with the salt and pepper. Cook until the cheese has melted.
- Place a frying pan on a medium heat and add the cashews to the pan. Toss frequently until slightly golden for about 5-7 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Place the cabbage in an oven proof dish, add the cashews, then pour the cheese sauce over it. Sprinkle with the Cheddar Cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown on the top.
- Eat and enjoy!