This cheesy cottage cheese bake is not only a delightful way to enjoy cottage cheese but also a versatile dish that can be customized to your taste by adding your favorite vegetables or spices. It's a wholesome option for breakfast, brunch, or dinner that's packed with protein and flavor.
This hearty baked dish is a great combination of cheese and jalapenos for a cheesy, spicy dish. We enjoyed this so much, that I made another one as soon as the last piece was finished.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Carbs in cottage cheese
Cottage cheese is relatively low in carbohydrates compared to many other dairy products. The exact carbohydrate content can vary slightly depending on the brand and whether it's full-fat or low-fat cottage cheese. Generally, a half-cup (approximately 113 grams) of plain, low-fat cottage cheese contains about 3-6 grams of carbohydrates. In contrast, full-fat cottage cheese may have slightly more carbohydrates, typically around 4-7 grams per half-cup.
Can you bake cottage cheese
Yes, you can bake with cottage cheese and it can add a creamy texture and a boost of protein to baked dishes. When baking with cottage cheese, keep in mind that the texture of the cottage cheese may change during baking. It can become smoother and less chunky as it melds with other ingredients in the dish.
Cottage cheese and eggs are the main ingredients in this breakfast casserole. We add jalapenos which are entirely optional. The beauty of this recipe is that you can add whatever low carb ingredients you want.
- Eggs - room temperature eggs bake well.
- Cottage cheese - use plain unflavored cottage cheese.
- Cheddar cheese - we use a strong cheddar cheese but any other hard cheese can be used.
- Parmesan cheese - adds an additional flavor but can be swap with other cheeses.
- Jalapenos - optional but we love the flavor of jalapeno and cheese.
- Salt & Pepper
How to make cottage cheese bake
This is an easy recipe that you will want to make again and again.
Beat the eggs.
Add the cheeses and jalapenos.
Pour into a baking dish and bake.
Slice and serve.
Any leftovers should be stored in the fridge in an air tight container. It should last 3 to 4 days and can be enjoyed cold or reheated.
If you want to freeze this, consider dividing the cottage cheese casserole into individual portions before freezing. This will make it easier to thaw and reheat only the amount you need at a given time.
Use an airtight, freezer-safe container or heavy-duty aluminum foil to wrap the cottage cheese bake. Make sure it's tightly sealed to prevent freezer burn and moisture loss.
When you're ready to enjoy your frozen cottage cheese bake, transfer it to the refrigerator and allow it to thaw overnight.
- If your cottage cheese seems watery, it's a good idea to drain it in a fine-mesh sieve for a few minutes to remove excess moisture. This helps prevent a soggy texture in your bake.
- Always preheat your oven before baking to ensure even cooking and consistent results.
- Allow the cottage cheese bake to rest for a few minutes after taking it out of the oven. This allows it to firm up slightly and makes it easier to slice or serve.
- Cottage cheese bake can be served as a main dish, side dish, or even for brunch. Pair it with a fresh salad, keto garlic bread or a simple tomato sauce, depending on the flavor profile of your bake.
We choose the flavor pairing of cheese and jalapeno for this cottage cheese egg bake but try it with other variations:
- Add sautéed spinach and crumbled feta cheese to your cottage cheese mixture for a Mediterranean-inspired twist.
- Sauté mushrooms and onions until they're tender, then mix them into your cottage cheese filling for a savory and earthy flavor.
- Incorporate diced tomatoes and fresh basil leaves into your cottage cheese mixture for a burst of freshness. You can also add a drizzle of balsamic glaze for extra flavor.
- Brown some sausage (like Italian sausage) with bell peppers and onions, then add them to your cottage cheese bake for a hearty and flavorful option.
- Crisp up some bacon and chop it into bits, then mix it with fresh chives into the cottage cheese mixture for a savory and aromatic dish.
- Add cooked seafood like shrimp or crabmeat to your cottage cheese bake for a luxurious and indulgent variation.
Cottage Cheese Bake
- 10 medium eggs
- 16 oz cottage cheese, plain
- 3 oz Cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 oz Parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 jalapenos, deseeded and chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350F/170C degrees and lightly grease a baking dish or casserole dish. We used a 9 x 13 inch dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs until well combined.
- Add the chopped jalapenos, cottage cheese, Cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the baking dish and bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes until the top is golden brown and center is set.
- Cut into squares and serve.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.