The crust on this quiche is one of nicest gluten free ones I have tasted and thanks to a reader (Jazzy-k) who shared a recipe with me for a pie crust which had these ingredients. I slightly changed the quantities, added butter and voila!
A lovely buttery, crumbly Quiche pastry! It reminds me of a wholewheat pastry case. The Chief Taster thinks that this would be great as a cheesecake base too (sweetened up though) which is on the list of things to bake. Although he suggests cheesecake for most recipes…it’s an obsession with him.
You could have any fillings in this Quiche but broccoli and blue cheese is my personal favourite. Take the base recipe, throw your own fillings and get creative!
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup ground golden flaxseed
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 tblspn psyllium powder
- 2 tspn baking soda
- 120g butter, softened at room temperature
- 10 eggs
- 500g broccoli florets
- 125g blue cheese
- 1/2 tspn salt
- 1/2 tspn pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Place all the base ingredients into a bowl and work the butter into the dried ingredients until a dough like mixture is obtained (add a drop of water if too dry).
- Grease a pie dish with butter and place the dough into the dish, spreading it out evenly with your hands across the bottom and up along the sides.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Whilst the "crust" is cooking, place the broccoli florets into a saucepan, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes until tender. Drain and wash in cold water to stop the cooking process.
- After removing the pie dish from the oven, reduce the temperature to 180C/350F degrees.
- Whisk the eggs and add the seasoning.
- Place the broccoli in the pie dish, scatter the blue cheese around it.
- Pour over the egg mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes until firm.
- Eat and enjoy!
- Serves 4-8 (4 large quarters, or 8 less hungry slices)
- Nutrition: Per Small Serving: 515 Calories; 42g Fat; 21g Protein; 19g Carbohydrate; 11g Dietary Fiber; 8g Net Carb