This brussel sprouts gratin has the added crunch of walnuts making it a delicious low carb side dish.
The flourless cheese sauce of the gratin ensures that this dish is gluten free as well as low carb.
I was surprised how much we loved this brussel sprouts gratin dish. We are not normally the biggest fans of brussel sprouts but this dish had us going in for a second helping. The Chief Taster even took the leftovers in for lunch the next day.
The walnuts add a crunch and an additional flavour. I like the flavour combination of nuts and cheese but add some brussel sprouts and you have yourself a tasty side dish. You could add bacon or ham to this for a meatier taste. Perhaps change the cheese too. A strong Cheddar cheese would work just as well.
I love the simplicity of this dish and any vegetable slathered in a cheese sauce is always a winner in our kitchen!
Other Side Dishes You May Enjoy
- 10 oz Brussel sprouts
- 4 oz Cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons Butter unsalted
- 1.5 cups Cream heavy/whipping
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/2 cup Walnuts chopped
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella grated (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F degrees
- Cut the brussel sprouts into half and place cut side down in a baking dish.
- Scatter the walnuts over the brussel sprouts.
Make the Sauce
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the cream and stir constantly.
- Add the Parmesan cheese and cream cheese. Season with the garlic powder, nutmeg, salt & pepper. Stir until the cheese has melted.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the brussel sprouts
- Scatter Mozzarella over the top
- Bake for 25 minutes