This keto brussel sprouts gratin has the added crunch of walnuts making it a delicious low carb side dish. A great way to enjoy brussel sprouts.
The flourless cheese sauce of this brussel sprouts gratin ensures that this dish is gluten free as well as low carb. A perfect low carb side for the holidays or a Sunday lunch.
I was surprised how much we loved this brussel sprouts gratin dish. We are not normally the biggest fans of brussel sprouts but this dish had us going in for a second helping. The Chief Taster even took the leftovers in for lunch the next day.
Are brussel sprouts keto?
These little green mini cabbages are a great keto vegetables with 5g net carbs per 100g serving. High in fiber and vitamin C and K they are a healthy choice.
How to cook brussel sprouts
How many of you were brought up on boiled soggy brussel sprouts? Yep, the main reason that many of us are not fans. Roasting them is a great way to cook them and enhances their flavour.
Brussel sprouts can be roasted in oil with seasonings but try them in a cheesy sauce. They can change your opinion of this vegetable.
How to make keto brussels sprouts gratin
Baked vegetables in a cheese sauce is the ultimate low carb side dish. The brussels are layed in a baking dish with the walnuts. The low carb cream sauce is poured over, more cheese scattered on top and then baked.
- Brussel sprouts - Select green and firm ones.
- Walnuts - These can be swapped with other nuts
- Cream cheese - The base of a low carb cheese sauce
- Cream - Heavy/Whipping
- Garlic powder - Fresh garlic cloves could be used.
- Nutmeg - Entirely optional. We use a dash of it in many gratin dishes for a little kick.
- Salt & Pepper
Add bacon or ham to this for a meatier taste.
A strong Cheddar cheese would be a great addition to the cheese sauce. Or try a blue cheese for a stronger flavour.
Other nuts could be used in place of walnut. Hazelnuts or pecans would make a great choice.
I love the simplicity of this dish and any vegetable slathered in a cheese sauce is always a winner in our kitchen! Serve this with a hearty main or vegetarian nut roast.
More low carb gratin recipes
This post was originally posted in December 2018. The photos and content have been revised but the recipe remains the same.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Brussel Sprout Walnut Gratin
- 10 oz Brussel sprouts
- ½ cup Walnuts chopped
- 4 oz Cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons Butter unsalted
- 1.5 cups Cream heavy/whipping
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg (optional)
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- ½ cup Mozzarella grated (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F degrees
- Cut the brussel sprouts into half and place cut side down in a baking dish.
- Scatter the walnuts over the brussel sprouts.
Make the Sauce
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the cream and stir constantly.
- Add the Parmesan cheese and cream cheese. Season with the garlic powder, nutmeg, salt & pepper. Stir until the cheese has melted.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the brussel sprouts
- Scatter Mozzarella over the top
- Bake for 25 minutes