A colourful and fresh tasting salad that is easy to make and features avocado, tomatoes, cucumber and feta in all their glory!
I was staring at the contents of the fridge, wondering what to make for lunch without having to spend ages in the kitchen. So chopped up a few things, threw a dressing over it and voila! Something so simple tasted so nice that I made it again the next day!
Deliciously light in flavour but satisfying, yet filling. The basil and lemon dressing could be poured over any salad and it would be just as delicious. I always think that the dressing is half of the taste of a salad. It can make such a difference.
We attended a fancy wedding many years ago that served up a bowl of lettuce for the vegetarian starter. Just a bowl of fancy lettuce. Not even a tomato or slither of cucumber. Thankfully the dressing was so lovely that it stopped me from picking up the bowl, stomping into the kitchen and demanding a few answers or slapping a few staff. A bowl of lettuce! Bah! Seriously? What was that? As vegetarians in a meat-eating world you kind expect a few mistakes but a bowl of lettuce has a bit of a "go home" vibe! However it shows how important a dressing is but does not still make up for the bowl of lettuce.
If you don't have any feta cheese to hand this would be just as delicious with goats cheese too. Or leave the cheese out if you wish.
Avocado, Tomato, Cucumber & Feta Salad
- 2 Tomatoes
- 1 Cucumber
- 1 Avocado, stone & skin removed
- 75 grams Feta Cheese
- 2 Spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Deseed the tomatoes and cut into small chunks.
- Peel the cucumber, remove the seeds and cut into small chunks.
- Cut the avocado into small pieces.
- Place the tomatoes, cucumber, avocado and spring onion in a bowl.
- Crumble the feta into the bowl.
- Mix the dressing ingredients together and pour over the salad.
- Lightly toss the salad so that there is an even coverage.