After my delight with the flaxseed bread rolls, I thought that I would have a play with another low carb bread roll and used coconut flour. The key to these is the psyllium husk powder as they make the rolls more “bread like” and is almost essential in low carb and gluten free baking now!
I was asked if they tasted “coconutty” which I don’t think that they do too much. I think the addition of the flax-seed flour takes the edge off. I added it to give the roll an added texture as the mixture seemed to be a bit too wet for my liking. Coconut flour can sometimes have an acquired taste but I’ve made a batch with onion powder and herbs which were delicious. Perhaps try them plain, then see how you go and add some other herbs and flavours.
Don’t worry if the mixture looks a bit wet, just fashion some rolls the best you can and they will bake fine. I find using wet hands to do this helps.
These rolls freeze well too! I’ve started making a weekly batch and pop some in the freezer. That way I have some on hand if I am having soup or fancy a snack. Or take out the freezer the night before so I can have one toasted with my morning eggs.
WATCH THE VIDEO
- 1/2 cup (56g) coconut flour
- 4 tblspn (26g) golden flax-seed flour
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tblspn coconut oil
- 1 tblspon baking powder
- 2 tblspn psyllium husk powder
- 1 tblspn apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tspn salt
- 1/4 cup boiling water (more may be required)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/350F degrees
- Place the coconut flour, baking powder, psyllium husk powder, flax-seed flour and salt in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Add the coconut oil and eggs and blend well until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
- Let the mixture sit for 30 minutes to thicken up.
- Add the apple cider vinegar and mix well.
- Gently add the water, a bit at time and stir into the mixture (you may not need it all).
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Using your hands, make a ball of the dough (I find keeping my hands wet helps with the sticky dough).
- Place the balls on the parchment paper lined baking tray.
- Make for 30 minutes until golden and firm.
- Eat and enjoy!
- Nutritional Info per roll - 172 Calories, 10g Fat, 14g Total Carbs, 5g Net Carbs, 9g Fibre, 6g Protein
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more info.
Products from Amazon.com
Viva Naturals Organic Psyllium Husk, Everyday Fiber Support, Finely Ground for for Easy Mixing, 24 oz.Price: $16.83Was: $27.99