This low carb mock apple crumble is made using chayote squash and is a hearty keto dessert for Fall. All of the taste of an apple crumble with a lot less carbs.
If you are looking for a keto crumble with almond flour crumble topping, the cinnamon spiced chayote is a great apple substitute. Family and guests will love this delicious keto apple crumble with a side of whipped cream or low carb ice cream.
Chayote Squash Keto Recipes
Zucchini is often used for a low carb alternative to apple and since the chayote is often used as a local substitute for zucchini, I thought I would try it in an apple crumble. The vegetable itself is fairly bland so lots of apple pie spice was used. I was heavy with the cinnamon, added nutmeg and ground cloves into the mix.
This low carb mock apple crumble dessert was met with happy eating noises from the Chief Taster. Apple crumble was the first dessert I made for him when we were dating many, many years ago and it’s been on his favourite dessert list forever. Now we have this low carb mock apple crumble firmly on the dessert list. Try it in an "apple" crumble muffin too!
What is Chayote Squash?
Chayote squash belongs to the gourd family and originates from Mexico and South American. It has a pear shape and is available rough and prickly. In the Caribbean the chayote is also known as Christophine or Cho-Cho.
The flesh has a very mild taste and can be served raw or cooked. Technically, the chayote is a fruit but we treat it like a vegetable in stews and salads. This recipe treats the chayote as a mock apple crumble filling.
A cup of chayote (132g) has a total of 6g carbs, 2.2g fibre with net carbs being 3.8g making it an ideal substitute for apple or even pear.
HOW TO MAKE LOW CARB MOCK APPLE CRUMBLE
Chayote Crumble Tips
- Slice the chayote evenly and thin. About 5mm thin will ensure an even cooking.
- Do not be shy with the spice. The chayote does not have an apple taste,so you need all the spices of an apple pie.
- If you have low carb brown sugar, add that to the chayote crumble for an additional flavor.
- Serve with whipped cream or a side of low carb cinnamon ice cream
OTHER LOW CARB DESSERTS TO BAKE:
Low Carb Mock Apple Crumble
- 3 Chayote
- ½ cup low carb sweetener brown if possible
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cloves, ground
- ½ cup butter, unsalted cute into cubes
- 1 cup almond flour
- ¼ cup low carb sweetener I used erythritol
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees
- Peel the chayote and cut into quarters. Remove the cores.
- Cut into thin slices, about 5 mm thick.
- Place the slices into a bowl and add the spices and low carb sweetener.
- Toss until all pieces are covered.
- Place the chayote slices into a baking dish
- In a bowl, place the crumble ingredients and gently blend using your fingers into a crumble texture.
- Spoon the crumble on top of the chayote in the baking dish.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until the top is golden and the chayote are soft.
Any nutritional analysis on the website is based on an estimate, calculated by http://nutritiondata.self.com from the individual ingredients in each recipe. Variations may occur for various reasons, including product availability and food preparation. We make no representation or warranty of the accuracy of this information.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.