Delicious keto apple pie muffins have a spiced low carb mock apple filling. Topped with whipped cream, these are a perfect sweet treat. Made with coconut flour and protein powder these muffins are low carb and gluten free.
At only 3g net carbs a muffin, they are a great version of apple pie in a muffin form! Enjoy one with your morning coffee or as a sweet treat.
Low carb swap for apple
To make low carb muffins with an apple pie filling, we have used chayote for a substitute. Apple is slightly high in carbs with 11g net carbs per 100g serving. Chayote is less than half that with 4.5g net carbs for the same sized serving.
Zucchini could be used in place of the chayote in this recipe too. Or if you are not counting carbs strictly use apple. One large apple should be enough for the filling and split across 9 muffins is not going to yield too many carbs.
What is chayote?
Chayote is low in carbs and high in fiber and vitamin C. It's a member of the squash family and has a similar shape as a pear. You peel it and decore it like a pear too.
Chayote has many names depending upon where in the world you are. In the Caribbean we mainly know it as christophene. Other names are choko, chuchu and pear squash
How to make keto apple pie muffins
This keto apple pie muffin is baked with coconut flour with the addition of a protein powder. We find that the protein powder adds to the sponge texture of the muffin. The Chief Taster says it tastes more like a real muffin too!
Make the keto apple filling first. You don't want warm mock apple filling to melt the cream topping.
- Coconut Flour
- Whey protein powder
- Sweetener - Monkfruit is used for this muffin recipe but any other low carb sweetener can be used.
- Almond milk - You may need more of this as different brands of coconut flour can require more liquid.
- Baking powder & salt
- Chayote - Zucchini also makes a mock apple filling.
- Whipped Cream - Pipe or slather on top of the muffin.
Make sure the chayote is cooked through. The cooking time may vary depending upon how fresh the chayote is. If you use zucchini, the cooking time should be about 10 minutes.
If you don't want a coconut flour muffin, almond flour can be used instead. Adapt the pumpkin muffin recipe we have and fill with the cooked mock apple.
If you have any cooked chayote left over after filling the cupcakes, enjoy some with yogurt and nuts for a low carb breakfast.
To store these muffins, keep them in the fridge in a sealed container. They will last up to 3 days.
More keto apple recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Keto Apple Pie Muffins
Apple Pie Filling
- 1 chayote
- 2 tablespoons monkfruit sweetener or other low carb sweetener
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Make the apple filling
- Peel the chayote squash and slice the top and bottom off.
- Cut the chayote into small squares
- Place the chayote into a small saucepan with water and bring to the boil.
- Cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes until soft. This may take longer depending how firm the chayote pear is.
- Drain the chayote and place in bowl. Toss in the cinnamon and sweetener.
- Set aside to cool.
Make the Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees and line a muffin tin with 9 liners.
- In a medium bowl whisk the butter and low carb sweetener together until smooth.
- Whisk in the eggs, one at a time until light and fluffy.
- Add the coconut flour, whey protein powder, baking powder, vanilla, almond milk and salt. Whisk to combine.
- If the muffin mixture is too thick, add more almond milk.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases and bake for 25-30 minutes until the muffins are golden and firm.
- Remove from the oven and allow too cool.
- Cut a well in the muffins and set aside the sponge. It may need trimming as it will be placed back on top of the filling.
- Spoon the chayote into the muffin well up to the top.
- Place the muffin lip on top of the chayote.
- In a small bowl, whisk the cream and vanilla extract until thick.
- Spoon the cream into a piping bag.
- Pipe the cream on top of the muffin. Sprinkle with cinnamon to serve.