A healthier rhubarb and strawberry crumble with the addition of coconut to add something sweet. A great dessert for summer. Try some with some coconut cream.
I saw some rhubarb in the supermarket and instantly thought "crumble!". I added desiccated coconut to the topping and strawberries to the filling to give it a little lift to the normal rhubarb crumble that I make. It was delicious. I loved the coconut topping and thought it went well with the rhubarb. Just keep an eye on it during cooking that it does not burn though! If it starts to look too dark in colour, cover it with some greaseproof paper. Strawberries and rhubarb....a great summer combination!
If you don't have fresh rhubarb, frozen will do. The same goes for the strawberries but it won't quite be the same as fresh.
I normally used just almond flour for a gluten free crumble, but thought I would add some coconut flour too since I was also using dried coconut. I like the flavour combination of rhubarb and coconut....must start to play around with this a bit more.....mmmm
Rhubarb & Strawberry Crumble with Coconut Topping
- Preheat the oven to 170C/325F degrees.
- Place the rhubarb and strawberries in a bowl. Add 1/2 of the sugar substitute and toss to coat well.
- Place the fruit into a baking dish.
- Mix the almond flour, coconut flour, desiccated coconut, butter and remaining sugar substitute with your hands until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs.
- Sprinkle the topping over the fruit mixture and cook for 30 minutes, until the topping starts to become golden.
- Eat and enjoy!
- Serves 4 decent portions.