A low carb blueberry galette is a made with a melt in your mouth gluten free pastry and filled with plump blueberries for a simple, yet tasty dessert. A great healthy dessert for summer.
This blueberry galette is a hearty dish for 4 or 8 slimmer slices. Rather than a large pastry dessert you could make smaller individual galettes as it is as simple as filling a pastry circle with fruit and baking.
I have recently been on a low carb pastry baking spree but wanted a change from the tarts and quiches I have been making. So, I thought that I would try a galette with blueberries as I found a punnet of huge ripe blueberries and they deserved to be displayed in all their fleshy glory.
WHAT IS A GALETTE?
A galette is traditionally a flat pastry dish made with flaky pastry. It resembles a rustic open tart with the pastry surrounding the sweet filling. A savoury filling can also be used. Sweet or savoury a galette is a great looking dish for the table.
Although I used a low carb pastry to make this blueberry galette, you could happily use Fathead dough too. Add a touch of sweetener to the Fathead dough if you are using a sweet filling. Either way you have a great gluten free galette for dessert.
HOW TO MAKE A GALETTE
The low carb pastry recipe I used for this blueberry galette has the addition of cream cheese which is an ingredient often used in flaky pastry. I used it in the hope to give the pastry a better texture. It did help to give a melt in your mouth pastry. You could mix the ingredients by hand but it’s so much quicker to use a food processor and it really helps blend the butter and cream cheese if they are not yet softened.
Once the dough has been firmed, roll the dough out in between two layers of parchment paper in a large circle shape. Spoon the blueberries in the centre of the dough and then gently press the edges up over the fruit to keep the berries in place and form a crust. Press up one section as a time to give a rough rustic look. Make sure the berries are not over spilling the pastry.
Blueberries were used in this low carb galette because as well as being low in carbs, they make a colourful filling. The berries don’t burst during cooking and do not leave you with a soggy pastry bottom either.
If you don’t have blueberries, you could make this low carb galette with other berries or even a mixture of them. A strawberry galette is on my next list of pastry making to try.
OTHER BLUEBERRY DESSERTS TO TRY:
- 1 cup blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Place all the pastry ingredients in a food processor and blitz until you have a combined dough.
- Remove the pastry from the food processor and form into a dough.
- Place the dough on a piece of parchment paper and roll into a circle, using another layer of parchment paper on top (the dough will be a bit sticky)
- Spoon the blueberries onto the centre of the dough leaving a large edge around the berries (about an inch)
- Gently fold the edges of the pastry over the circle of the berries, folding the dough over to create a “crust”.
- Brush the pastry edges with the beaten egg and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden. If you make smaller individual galettes the cooking time may be reduced.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream.