As with most dishes that require a marinade I like to leave the marinade overnight for the flavours to really take. You could always use dried herbs in this dish if you do not have fresh. Just change the quantities from tablespoon to teaspoon. This chicken dish got the thumbs up from the husband and he enjoyed the herb flavours combined with the lemon.
4 chicken breasts
2 tblspn lemon zest
⅓ cup lemon juice
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tblspn fresh thyme, chopped
1 tblspn fresh rosemary
salt and pepper
2-3 tblspn melted butter
- In a bowl, mix the lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic cloves, thyme and rosemary. Season with salt and pepper.
- Score the chicken breast with a knife to help the marinade take.
- Place the marinade and chicken in a tupperware bowl, cover and shake well so that the chicken is covered with the marinade.
- Place in the refrigerator and marinade for at least 2 hours (I prefer overnight)
- Preheat the oven to 220C/425F degrees.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade, place in a baking dish and brush a little melted butter on each piece. Put the marinade to one side.
- Cook for about 50 to 55 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Halfway through cooking, baste the chicken with the remaining marinade.
- Eat and enjoy!