A chicken dish full of flavour and inspired by Moroccan spices.
When the Chief Taster had finished this dish he confessed that he was not ashamed to admit that he had licked the plate to enjoy the last drops of this sauce. High praise indeed, although it’s not behaviour I encourage! The aroma of the spices cooking in this dish are just lovely and warmed the kitchen with their intoxicating smell.
I was fortunate enough to travel to Morocco for work when I lived in the Middle East. The food, the people andthe wonderful hospitality was just amazing. I loved exploring the souks with the array of spices and this dish conjured up some fond memories for me.
This was very easy to make and is made in one pot, but it could be made in advance just to heat up for supper later. I suspect it’s one of those dishes where the tastes improves after a few hours. However, I am yet to find that out as this will not last long with the plate licker about!
- 4 chicken breasts (no bone and no skin)
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 8 artichoke hearts (I used a tin)
- 1/2 cup pitted green olives
- 1 tspn turmeric
- 1/2 tspn ground cumin
- 1/2 tspn ground coriander
- 1/4 tspn red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tspn ground cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- zest and juice from 1 lemon
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tspn salt
- 3 tblspns olive oil
- 2 tblspns fresh mint, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan on a medium heat and add the chicken. Cook each side for about 3 minutes each side, until lightly browned. Remove from the pan.
- Add the onion and saute for 5 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Add the spices and bayleaf and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the stock into the spices and add the salt. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the remaining stock, lemon zest and juice. Cover and simmer on a low heat for 15 minutes.
- Add the chicken, artichokes and olives and mix well. Cook for a further 5 minutes. Remove the bayleaf.
- Serve with the mint over the dish.
- Eat and enjoy!
- Nutrition per serving - 425 Calories, 14g Fat, 58g Protein, 16g Total Carbs, 9g Fibre, 7g Net Carbs