Keto chicken piccata is a low carb version of the classic Italian chicken recipe. Golden chicken breasts are cooked in a delicious lemon caper sauce. A quick and easy family recipe ready in under 30 minutes.
This is a great simple low carb and gluten free chicken recipe that is packed with flavour for Spring or Summer.
Is Piccata Low Carb?
The traditional recipe involves breading the chicken breasts which is a nope for us. It could not be easier to make a piccata recipe low carb by simply replacing the flour with a low carb flour.
How to Make Chicken Piccata
For the flour substitute I have used oat fiber. It is so simple to flour in texture that it also worked well in helping to thicken the sauce too. Best of all, there's no nutty or coconut taste too! Almond flour or lupin flour make a great replacement if you don't have oat fiber.
The chicken breasts need to be fairly thin to ensure even and quick cooking. If your breasts are too plump, place them between two layers of cling film and give them a bash with the rolling pin to flatten them. Ideally, chicken cutlets are preferred.
What to Serve with this Keto Chicken Piccata?
Traditionally chicken piccata is served with mashed potatoes or pasta. A few low carb options are:
Recipe Tips & Suggestions
For an extra creamy sauce add a couple tablespoons of heavy cream when you add the chicken to the sauce.
Add artichokes or spinach to the sauce for a heartier meal.
You might enjoy these low carb chicken recipes too
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Keto Chicken Piccata
- 4 chicken breasts or chicken cutlets
- ½ cup oat fiber or other low carb flour.
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup capers
- ¼ cup white wine optional
- 1 tablespoon lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup parsley
- In a shallow bowl, mix the oat fiber with the salt and pepper.
- Dip the chicken breasts in the oat fiber and coat both sides well.
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a skillet or large pan on a medium heat.
- Add the chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes each side. The chicken needs to be golden and cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
Make the Sauce
- Add the butter to the pan and melt on a medium heat.
- Add the stock, lemon juice and wine to the pan. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the capers and lemon rind to the sauce and stir to combine.
- Place the chicken breasts back into the pan and cook for a further 5 minutes. Spoon the sauce over the chicken occasionally.
- Serve with fresh parsley and sides of your choice.