This keto fish pie is an easy dinner recipe and pure comfort food. White fish, salmon and prawns are served in a creamy cheese sauce and topped with a cheesy cauliflower mash.
Fish pie is a classic British recipe and use mashed potato for the topping. To make this a low carb fish recipe, the versatile cauliflower is used instead. The creamy sauce uses cream cheese for a low carb option too.
The Chief Taster loved this keto fish pie so much on the first bake that despite declaring he was full, he dived in for a second helping. Which led to further declarations of a full stomach. The dish went immediately on the repeat request menu and leftovers (the small amount that was not devoured in the first serving) were enjoyed for lunch the next day.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Just basic low carb ingredients and fish make this tasty keto fish pie.
How to Make a Keto Fish Pie
I find the best way to make this fish pie is to be organized and cook the 3 main components in this order:
- Topping – Cooking the cauliflower first means it can be cooking on the stove whilst you get on with the sauce.
- Sauce – The cheese sauce is easy to make and can be set aside until ready for use.
- Fish - I find that steaming the fish is a great way to maintain the flavours. You could bake or grill the fish too. We use prawns which some people also call shrimps.
Cook and mash the cauliflower with the cheese and herbs.
Place the cooked fish and prawns in a baking dish.
Spoon the cauliflower mash on top of the fish.
Bake for 20 minutes.
Although I have made this fish pie in a large baking dish, I’ve also made it in large ramekin pots for individual pies too. The pie can be assembled and kept aside in the fridge until you are ready to bake.
You could play around with the ingredients to the fish pie and give it your own twist. A few suggestions are:
- Smoked fish
- Lobster (that’s a payday pie!)
- Spinach, cooked
- Mushrooms, sliced and cooked
- White wine in the sauce
- Smoked cheese (Gouda would be great)
- Hard boiled eggs (the traditional fish pie can be served with hard boiled eggs in it).
Keep any leftovers in the fridge in a sealed container and it should last up to 3 days. Reheat in the oven or microwave.
What to serve with keto fish pie
Green vegetable or a green salad make a great side dish. Roasted low carb alternatives to potatoes are also a delicious side dish. Try cheesy green beans, roasted asparagus, turnip fries, cheesy baked asparagus or roasted broccoli.
MORE KETO FISH & SEAFOOD RECIPES
These 35 dinner recipes are all keto friendly, low carb and gluten-free. A delicious selection of meat and seafood dinner recipes you and the family will enjoy.
Each recipe includes a list of ingredients, clear instructions, and nutritional information to help you track your daily macronutrient intake.
$3.99 Downloadable eBook
All my eBooks are in PDF format and can be downloaded onto your desktop computer, mobile, tablet or iPad. All prices are in US dollars.
Keto Fish Pie
- 1 medium cauliflower
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons butter unsalted
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chives, fresh chopped
- 7 oz white fish
- 4 oz salmon
- 10 medium prawns
- ½ cup cream cheese
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped
MAKE THE CAULIFLOWER TOPPING
- Cut the cauliflower into florets and place in a saucepan.
- Cover with water and bring to the boil.
- Cover with a lid and simmer for 20 minutes until soft.
- Drain and add the butter. Mash the cauliflower until the butter has melted.
- Add the grated cheese & sour cream. Season with salt & pepper.
- Blend the mashed cauliflower until smooth (you could do this with a form if you don’t want the topping too smooth)
- Add the chives into the mixture.
COOK THE FISH
- Poach or steam the fish & prawns for 8 minutes, until cooked and easy to flake.
- Set aside
MAKE THE SAUCE
- Place the cream cheese, cream, lemon and mustard in a saucepan and gently heat until smooth.
- Stir in the chopped herbs.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Flake the white fish and salmon into large chunks.
- Add the fish and prawns into the cheese sauce and stir.
- Spoon the fish sauce into a baking dish.
- Pipe or spoon the cauliflower mash over the top of the fish mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the top is golden.
- Serve and enjoy.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.