This keto shrimp alfredo is a keto-friendly recipe that takes no time at all to make. Packed full of protein and healthy fats, it’s sure to become a family favorite. Cooked shrimp in a creamy alfredo sauce is a perfect low carb and gluten-free dish for dinner.
This is a delicious creamy, cheesy dish with shrimp. Cream, cheese, garlic and shrimp. What's not to love! It's quick to make and can be ready in 30 minutes.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
ARE SHRIMP KETO FRIENDLY?
As with any fish, shrimp is very keto friendly and has a high protein content with zero carbohydrates and low calories. Rich in vitamin B12, B6, selenium, zinc and omega-3 fatty acids it's a great food for any diet.
KETO SHRIMP ALFREDO INGREDIENTS
If you are using frozen shrimps, ensure that they are defrosted thoroughly. Fresh shrimps can be used but make sure that they are fresh.
WHAT KIND OF PARMESAN TO USE
Traditionally, the Italian Alfredo sauce is made with just butter and Parmesan cheese. The American version adds cream and sometimes cream cheese too which makes it a great keto friendly dish.
For the Parmesan we prefer a block of fresh Parmesan which we grate (chef's treat is to munch on a piece whilst grating too!). Another great choice is Parmigiano Reggiano as it has a stronger flavor. The pre-shredded and powdered Parmesan cheese from a tub is not recommended as it will not help thickened the sauce and the flavor is subpar.
HOW TO MAKE KETO SHRIMP ALFREDO
The beauty of an Alfredo dish is how easy it is to make. We use a large skillet but a frying pan could be used too.
We remove the tails but you can keep them on.
Cook garlic in butter
Add the shrimp and cook
Remove the shrimp and make the sauce
Return the shrimp and add any keto pasta or noodles
The basic Alfredo sauce can be enhanced with the addition of other keto friendly ingredients for a different meal. A few suggestions are:
- Add 2 to 3 oz of cream cheese to the sauce.
- Stir in baby spinach when adding the shrimp
- Add steamed broccoli to the sauce
- Pumpkin puree makes a great Alfredo sauce for Fall.
- In place of shrimp used chicken
- Add blackened spice mix to the sauce for a spicy blackened shrimp alfredo
- Add asparagus when cooking the garlic and prawns.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH KETO SHRIMP ALFREDO
Traditional shrimp alfredo is served with fettucine but for a low carb version you may want to serve it with low carb noodles or pasta. We often use Palmini noodles that are made from hearts of palm but zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash are a great option too.
Noodles are not essential for this recipe and the shrimp Alfredo can be enjoyed with a side salad or steamed green vegetables. Dare I suggest the low carb popular cauliflower rice?
Ideally this needs to be eaten freshly made. Any leftovers should be stored in the fridge in an air tight container and consumed within 3 days. Reheat the dish in a skillet on the stove on a gently heat, so not to split the cream sauce.
MORE KETO SHRIMP RECIPES
If you are a fan of shrimp, we have a few keto recipes you may enjoy!
Keto Shrimp Alfredo
- 12 oz shrimp peeled and deveined
- ½ cup butter
- 5 cloves garlic
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup parmesan grated
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Rinse the shrimp and pat dry with kitchen towel. Season with the salt and pepper.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the butter to a skillet and cook the garlic for 2 minutes
- Add the shrimp and cook for 2 minutes each side until pink and cooked.
- Remove the shrimp and set aside
- Add the rest of the butter, cream, Parmesan and oregano to the skillet.
- On a medium heat, whisk until sauce starts to thicken.
- Taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning.
- If you are adding low carb pasta, cook it as you make the sauce. Drain it and add to the skillet, tossing the pasta or zoodles until covered in the sauce.
- Add the shrimp to the skillet and stir well.
- Serve with freshly chopped parsley.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.