Easy spicy keto Cajun chicken meatballs with a creamy dairy free sauce is a great one dish recipe. Made in a skillet, it’s an easy low carb chicken dinner for the family. No flour or breadcrumbs are used to bind the chicken meatballs making this a great gluten free option too.
Moist and full of flavour thanks to the Cajun spices, this ground chicken recipe could be made with ground turkey too. Although I used ground chicken, ground turkey could be used too. If you wanted the meatballs extra moist, add grated zucchini as I do in my chicken zucchini meatballs recipe.
Cajun spice mix
I will confess that I used use a ready made Cajun spice mix purely as we have a great selection here, in the Caribbean to choose from. However, making your own is easy. There may be regional variations but I find the homemade Cajun spice mix from TwoSleevers a great start.
All you need to make your own Cajun spice mix is:
- Dried Parsley
- Dried Onions
- Smoked Paprika
- Dried Oregano
- Dried Thyme
- Cayenne Pepper
- Dried Garlic
- Black pepper
How to make this chicken meatballs recipe
Making these Cajun chicken meatballs is very easy. I simply add all the meatball ingredients into a food processor and using the pulse function, mix the ingredients until they are blended. You could happily make the meatballs by hand with a bowl, a spoon and a strong arm too.
Cooked in the same pan as the sauce, the flavours of the chicken meatballs add to the creamy sauce. One pan means less washing up too! I used tinned tomatoes for the sauce but always check the sugar content on the tins as there are variations between brands. Or use fresh tomatoes, chopped, de-seeded and a little tomato paste instead.
Chicken meatball tips
Substitute the ground chicken for ground turkey, beef or pork .
Add zucchini to the meatballs for extra moisture and sneak vegetables into the dish.
Serve with zucchini noodles or cauliflower rice.
This sauce is dairy free, but you could replace coconut cream with sour cream for a dairy version.
Feel free to add extra chopped vegetables to the sauce such as chopped mushroom or peppers for a heartier dish.
Other chicken dishes to try
Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan Meatballs
Creamy Skillet Chicken & Broccoli
Keto Cajun Chicken Meatballs
- 1 ¼ lbs ground chicken
- 3 cloves garlic peeled & chopped
- 3 spring onions peeled & chopped
- 2 tablespoons Cajun Spice Mix
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 oz Butter, unsalted
- 1 small onion peeled & chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled & chopped
- 3 teaspoons Cajun Spice Mix
- ½ cup Coconut cream tinned
- 1 tin tomatoes 400g tin
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons Parsley, fresh, chopped
- Place the chicken breast, onions, garlic, parsley and Cajun seasoning in a food processor and pulse until combined.
- Remove the mixture from the food processor and shape into small meatballs about the size of a walnut.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet on a medium heat.
- Add the meatballs to the pan and gently cook for 5-7 minutes, turning them over to brown all sides as evenly as you can.
- Remove the meatballs from the pan and set aside.
- Using the same pan (don’t clean it as we want the juices from the meatballs for this sauce), heat the butter until it melts.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes until soft.
- Add the Cajun spices and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, coconut cream and chicken stock.
- Stir well and simmer the sauce for about 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken meatballs to the sauce and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve.
Leave a Reply