An easy spicy chicken peanut stew that is for peanut butter and chicken lovers. It’s a rich and creamy dish ready in under 30 minutes.
In Ghana there is a dish called Hkatenkwan which is known as chicken and ground nut stew. This dish is based on this with a few changes with the cooking method and no palm oil (which is a main ingredient in Ghanian cooking). The Chief Taster's family are from Ghana and I am always interested when the family cook to taste the different spices.
This dish is spicy but also uses peanut butter, which gives a smooth taste. There is a Ghanian soup which is similar, spicy and also uses peanut butter. Absolutely delicious!
If you like chicken satay, then you will like this chicken peanut stew. Spicy, creamy and nutty! Serve with a side of cauliflower rice or just enjoy a bowl by itself.
One dish from Ghana that I love but is made with rice (so not for me when I am being strict with the carbs) BUT I thoroughly recommend is a dish called Jollof. It's rice cooked in a spicy tomato sauce and just is lovely. Try the cauliflower rice version to serve with this dish.
Add vegetables to this chicken peanut stew if you want. I’ve made it with eggplant and okra but here have just kept it plain chicken. If you don’t have fresh ginger or chilli, you could use ground spices instead.
When using peanut butter, read the ingredients carefully as a lot can be packed with sugar. Best to buy one from a health food shop. Keep it natural and unprocessed as possible.
More keto chicken recipes to try
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
This recipe was originally posted in 2013. I’ve updated the photos but the recipe remains the same.
African Chicken Peanut Stew
- 2 chicken breasts cut into chunks
- 1 inch ginger, fresh choppped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 7 oz chopped tomatoes tinned or fresh
- ½ cup peanut butter no sugar
- 2 red chillis chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup stock chicken or vegetable
- Place the ginger, garlic, red chillies and half the onion in a blender and blitz into a sauce.
- Heat the oil in large saucepan.
- On a medium heat, cook the sauce for 2- 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken and coat it thoroughly in the sauce and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, stock, salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the peanut butter and cook for a further 20 minutes.
- Eat and enjoy!
Did I miss what I’m supposed to do with the other half of the onion?
Call it a small onion. I didn't want too much onion in there so halved it.
what size tin?
A 14oz tin.
What is a tin of chopped tomatoes.
A tin of cooked tomatoes...normally plum tomatoes.
Dear Diva, what a wonderful surprise. Long ago I had a lovely recipe for chicken-ground-nut stew but lost it in a (long ago) computer crash. I think this will be delicious. Thank you.
Sue...welcome and hope you enjoy the recipe!