These baked eggplant fries are a tasty and healthy alternative to fries. They are a delicious side dish or snack enjoyed with a dip.
This recipe combines my love of eggplant and fries. What’s not to love! I accidentally made these one day during a cooking session and had a couple of thin eggplants in the fridge begging to be cooked. I simply sliced, coated and baked them. They were devoured quickly.
Baking eggplant in oven instead of frying them reduces the amount of oil required and makes a healthier dish. Eggplant is like a sponge and will soak up more oil than is ever stated in a recipe. When a recipe states 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil and requires frying an eggplant, you know deep down that you are going to end up pouring half a bottle into the pan before the eggplant burns!
I have used various spices and herbs making these healthy eggplant fries and every batch is just as delicious. I’ve used zaatar, oregano, basil, chilli and curry. All haves received a great thumbs up from the Chief Taster and friends. You can take this simple eggplant recipe and add your own flavours!
I used dried Parmesan in a jar. Sadly, fresh would not really work for this recipe. Freshly grated Parmesan in cheese is great in a salad or sprinkled over a baked dish, but when you want Parmesan as a coating, it needs to be the dried stuff in a jar!
Selecting an Eggplant
I find that long thin eggplants make great eggplant fries. Purely as they are easier to cut into a fry shape. I also prefer to peel them too as sometimes the skin in eggplant can be on the bitter side. It’s also easier to coat the eggplant if it’s purely the flesh to dip and coat.
Tip on Making Eggplant Fries
- You could use coconut flour in place of almond flour to make this nut free. You would need to reduce the quantity and I’d advise you use half a cup and perhaps increase the Parmesan by a few tablespoons.
- Remove the outer skin as it can be bitter
- Cut as evenly as you can for an eggplant! You will need to turn them all over and arrange them on the baking tin.
Dips to Serve Eggplant Fries With
Cream Cheese blended with basil
Other Low Carb Fries Recipe
Baked Eggplant Fries
- 2 eggplants medium
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C.
- Wash, peel and cut the eggplant into fry like sticks. If you want them crispier, make them thin.
- Put the almond flour, salt, pepper, oregano and Parmesan into a zip lock bag and shake to blend.
- Dip the eggplant fries into the beaten egg, then place in the zip lock bag. Shake until the fry is covered in the coating.
- Repeat until all the eggplant fries are covered.
- Place the eggplant fries onto a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden, turning over half way through cooking. Cooking may vary depending upon thickness.
- Serve immediately with your favourite dip.