These easy blackened chicken burgers are dipped in melted butter, rolled in spices, then cooked in a pan or on the grill for a chicken burger packed full of flavour.
If you enjoy my blackened salmon recipe, you will hopefully love this blackened chicken recipe. The great taste of these burgers is that the spices stick to the melted butter and when cooked, create a slight spicy crust to the keto chicken burger.
Substitutions & Tips
- Chicken breasts could be used in place of ground chicken. I'd recommend that you flatten the breasts before adding the spice to ensure even cooking of the meat.
- Smoked paprika works well with this seasoning if you can get it.
- Add fresh lime or cilantro for another flavour to the spice mix.
- Add a couple of teaspoons of the blackened spice to the ground chicken when making the patties for an extra layer of heat.
What is blackened seasoning?
Blackened seasoning is a mix of spices and dried herbs which can vary from country. It is similar to a Cajun mix but my version of blackened seasoning is influenced by the Caribbean mixes. We like the heat in our spices!
You may be able to purchase ready mixed blackened spices but I like to make my own mix to have ready to use. The spices and herbs that I use are
- cayenne pepper
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- pepper (both white & black)
What to serve with blackened chicken burgers
Try these keto chicken burgers with a creamy coleslaw or with an low carb burger bun. A light salad or side of zucchini rings make this a complete dish. I have a collection of 25 coleslaw recipes you can try with this too!
Other keto burgers to enjoy
Blackened Chicken Burgers
- 16 oz ground chicken
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
Blackened Spice Mixture
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon thyme, dried
- ¼ teaspoon basil, dried
- ¼ teaspoon oregano, dried
- In a small shallow bowl mix all the spices.
- Place the melted butter in a separate shallow bowl or small plate.
- Form the chicken patties and dip them first into the melted butter, then into the blackened spice mix to coat the chicken patties
- Heat a cast-iron skillet or grill to a medium heat. Cook the chicken burgers for about 4-5 minutes per side until cooked through.
- Serve with keto burger buns and coleslaw
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.