An easy halloumi burger that is colourful and packed with flavour. With grated zucchini and herbs, they are a tasty addition to any BBQ or grill.
Originally, these halloumi burgers are based on the ones that I enjoyed at a stall in the fabulous London Borough food market. They were a taste explosion with the mint and coriander doing a sexy tango on my taste palates. If you are in London or visiting, a trip to this food market is an absolute must! To homage my taste buds on that delightful day, I’ve made a low carb version of them.
What is Halloumi Cheese?
Halloumi makes the best cheese to be fried. If you are not familiar with it and love fried cheese, hunt this cheese down!
Halloumi is a cheese from Cyprus made from cow, sheep or goat’s cheese and has a distinct salty taste. It is very firm in texture which makes it perfect for frying as it will keep its form and not melt all over your pan. We call it “Squeaky Cheese” as it can have a slight squeaky texture against your teeth when eating slices of it. That might be just us though. Halloumi cheese is a perfect cheese for the BBQ as you can cook slices of it without it melting between the grill.
How to Make This Halloumi Burger
These halloumi burgers as good enough to possibly convert a meat eater. Well, almost. It is as simple as grating the halloumi cheese and zucchini, adding herbs and a low carb flour to bind the mixture. I have used both coconut flour and almond flour. I prefer almond flour purely because I like it in savoury dishes compared to coconut flour. You can use coconut flour in this recipe and ¼ cup is a good substitute for almond flour here.
You can happily make these halloumi burgers ahead and store them in the fridge before cooking them. It enables them to keep their form and firm up but that might be down to my very cold fridge which is currently semi-freezing my bottled water.
What to Serve With Halloumi Burger
You can enjoy these halloumi burgers by themselves with a dip or low carb fries. For a hearty dish, serve them with low carb burger buns with perhaps a side salad.
- 9 oz Halloumi cheese
- 1 zucchini grated
- 2 spring onions chopped
- 1 tablespoon mint, fresh chopped
- 1 tablespoon coriander chopped
- 4 tablespoons almond flour
- 1 egg beaten
- 3 olive oil
- Grate the halloumi cheese
- In a bowl, mix the halloumi, zucchini, spring onions, mint, coriander and egg
- Add the almond flour and combine.
- Take small handfuls of the mixture and press into small patties.
- Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes (or these will keep in the refrigerator for about two to three days uncooked).
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan.
- Cook the burgers for about 2-3 minutes on each side, pressing down slightly until a golden brown on each side.
- Eat and enjoy!