This keto coleslaw recipe is for pickle lovers and make a great side dish with any burger or at a barbecue. It’s an easy sugar-free, low carb and paleo dish.
Dill pickles are the star of this easy coleslaw recipe and liven up a classic side dish. The briny flavour of the pickles with the creamy crunch of the cabbage is a great flavour combination.
I enjoy a bowl of coleslaw with grated cheese on top for a light meal. It’s easy and it’s quicker if you have a bag of prepared coleslaw ingredients to hand. Which is not sold here in St Lucia, so I have to chop the cabbage by hand.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Is coleslaw keto?
Store bought coleslaw is not keto friendly due to the sugar that is added. To enjoy a low carb coleslaw, it is best to make your own using homemade sugar free mayonnaise. If you want it sweeter add powdered low carb sweetener to taste.
How to make keto pickle coleslaw
Making your own coleslaw is quick and easy. You could use a bag of prepared coleslaw mixture and add the dressing or chop your own ingredients.
The ingredients in this dill pickle coleslaw are:
- White or red cabbage - I prefer my cabbage thinly shredded but thick and chunky is great too. Red cabbage is used for an extra splash of colour and I find it is slightly sweeter too.
- Spring onions – Thinly sliced red onions are often found in coleslaw but I used chopped spring onions to keep the carbs down.
- Pickles – this recipe has the tasty addition of pickles for an extra flavor. Make your own with this Garlic Dill Pickle Recipe.
- Dill – Chopped fresh dill is used but if you do not have any to hand, dried dill can be used instead.
- Mayonnaise – Home made low carb mayonnaise is an essential ingredient for the keto coleslaw dressing, giving it a creamy texture.
Making a low carb coleslaw is just as simple as slice, grate and chop the vegetables, add the mayonnaise and stir. Cover, place in the fridge for a couple of hours for the flavours to develop, then enjoy it.
What to serve with coleslaw?
Other low carb coleslaw recipes
Keto Dill Pickle Coleslaw
- Thinly slice the red and white cabbage either by using a large sharp knife, or use a food processor.
- Finely chop the spring onions
- Place the cabbage, onions and dill pickles in a bowl.
- Stir in the mayonnaise and add the fresh dill, salt and black pepper. Ensure that the cabbage is thoroughly covered.
- Taste and add the powdered sweetener if required.
- Cover and store in the fridge for at least 2 hours before serving.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.