This low carb vegetable wellington recipe combines a variety of flavorful vegetables encased in a rich low-carb pastry for a satisfying and impressive meal. Serve as a low carb vegetarian main dish for dinner or the holidays.
The filling for this tasty vegetable wellington is a mix of mushrooms, eggplant, red bell pepper and cheese with Italian seasoning. The pastry is a Fathead dough made from mozzarella cheese, almond flour and coconut flour.
Enjoy slices of this keto wellington warm or cold. I found this very delicious and enjoyed it thoroughly the next day after baking as the flavors developed.
What is a vegetable wellington?
A vegetable Wellington is a vegetarian or vegan version of the classic dish known as "Beef Wellington." In the traditional Beef Wellington, a beef tenderloin is wrapped in puff pastry, often along with a layer of mushroom duxelles (a mixture of finely chopped mushrooms, shallots, and herbs), and then baked to create a flavorful and visually stunning dish.
A vegetable Wellington follows a similar concept, but instead of beef, it features a variety of vegetables as the main filling. These vegetables can include items like mushrooms, spinach, bell peppers, zucchini, eggplant, and more. The vegetables are often sautéed or roasted and then combined with seasonings, herbs, and sometimes cheese for added flavor and texture.
Assemble your ingredients and get ready to make a great vegetarian dish!
- Mushrooms - we used brown cremini mushrooms but any variety of mushrooms can be used such as portobello or shiitake.
- Red pepper - we roast the red bell pepper but for a quicker recipe, use roasted red peppers from a jar.
- Eggplant - also know as aubergine, this could be substituted with zucchini.
- Sundried tomatoes - adds a great flavor with the cooked vegetables.
- Italian seasoning - this can be substituted with oregano, basil or thyme.
- Mozzarella cheese - the foundation of the Fathead dough, along with the cream cheese, almond flour and coconut flour.
How to make low carb vegetable wellington
First, cook the filling. This can be set aside to cool as you make the pastry.
Make the filling
Saute onion and garlic.
Add mushrooms and eggplant.
Add sundried tomatoes and seasoning.
Remove from heat and add cheese.
The red bell pepper can be roasted on the stove top, in the oven or under the grill. Or reach for a jar of ready roasted red bell peppers.
Make the low carb pastry
Microwave mozzarella cheese with cream cheese for 2 minutes until melted.
Add almond flour, coconut flour and baking powder.
Add one egg.
Form into a dough.
Assemble the Wellington
Spoon half the cooked vegetables on rolled pastry.
Lay the roasted red pepper strips on top of the vegetables and cover with the remaining cooked vegetables.
Fold the low carb pastry over the vegetable filling.
Roll the pastry edges over and secure the edges.
Brush with an egg wash.
Decorate with left over pastry and bake.
After cooking or sautéing your vegetables, be sure to drain any excess moisture. This will prevent the filling from becoming too wet and soggy, which can affect the pastry's texture.
Use any mix of other low carb vegetables. Examples are cauliflower, spinach, asparagus, broccoli and zucchini in addition to the fillings used in this recipe.
Substituted the Parmesan cheese with other cheeses, such as feta cheese, goat's cheese or blue cheese.
If you don't want to use a cheesy Fathead dough pastry, try the coconut flour dough we use for our broccoli stromboli recipe.
Store any leftovers in the fridge in an air tight container and it will last up to 4 days. Enjoy it cold or reheat it in the oven.
This vegetable wellington can be frozen whole or sliced. Wrap the cooled Wellington tightly in a layer of plastic wrap. Make sure it's sealed airtight to prevent freezer burn.
To provide an extra layer of protection, you can wrap the Wellington again with a layer of aluminum foil. Place in the freezer and it should last up to 3 months. Defrost in the fridge before reheating.
What to serve with keto vegetable wellington
This makes a great main low carb and gluten free vegetarian dish that is great served with a side of cheesy green beans, zucchini gratin or a walnut blue cheese salad. Add a serving of keto mushroom gravy too.
- 8 oz mushrooms, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium eggplant, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper
- 5 sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- 3 oz Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Make the wellington filling
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet or large pan.
- Cook the chopped onion for 8 - 10 minutes until soft.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for further 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped mushrooms and eggplant and cook for 5 minutes until they are cooked and slightly golden.
- Stir in the seasonings and chopped sun dried tomatoes. Cook for 2 minutes, then remove from the heat.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese and set aside.
- Roast the red bell pepper on the stove, in the oven or under the grill. Or use ready prepared roasted peppers from a jar.
Make the Keto Pastry
- In a bowl add the mozzarella and cream cheese. Melt in the microwave for 2 minutes.
- Add the almond flour, baking powder and coconut flour and mix.
- Add in the egg and work the mixture into a dough.
Assemble the Wellington
- Preheat the oven to 190C/385F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out the pastry dough between two sheets of parchment paper to form a rectangle, about 5mm thick.
- Spoon half the cooked vegetable mixture in the middle and form into an rectangle shape.
- Slice the roasted red bell and place in layers over the vegetable mixture. Spoon the remaining vegetable mixture on top of the red peppers.
- Carefully fold the pastry over the vegetables, sealing the edges by pinching them together. We trim the pastry edges before rolling for a neater shape.
- Brush with an egg wash and decorated with any left ever pastry, cut into strips (optional).
- Place the vegetable wellington on the baking tray and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until firm and golden.
- Slice, serve and enjoy!
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.