This low carb cheesy zucchini gratin is a healthier alternative to potato gratin. It’s a tasty side dish the family will enjoy.
A simple low carb dish that is easy to make and makes a great dinner dish with minimum fuss. You can bake this ahead then re-heat when you are ready to eat. I find it hearty enough to eat by itself with a green side salad.
What is in this Zucchini Gratin?
I used a mixture of green and yellow zucchini for a colourful dish. I find the yellow zucchini adds a touch of sweetness to It. If you wanted a sweet side dish only use the yellow zucchini.
For the creamy cheese sauce, I used mascarpone instead of heavy cream for a thicker sauce. You could use cream cheese for an extra creamy dish.
I kept the seasoning very basic but adding herbs such as thyme or a dash of nutmeg would be a great addition to this dish. Whatever you used to use in your potato gratin, throw it in this gratin too!
How to make Zucchini Gratin
Ensure that the zucchini slices are thin and even. Mine were sliced about a quarter of an inch and held their shape well without becoming too limp and watery.
Try to use fresh Parmesan cheese if you can get it for a strong taste. You could use other cheese such as Gruyere, Fontina or Monterey Jack for other flavours.
This dish could be turned into a cheesy zucchini bake if you spiralise the zucchini instead of slicing it.
OTHER SIDE DISHES TO TRY:
- 3 zucchini sliced into rounds
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 8 oz Mascarpone cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 oz Cheddar cheese
- 2 oz Mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan on a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and cook until lightly golden on both sides.
- Season the vegetables with the salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, beat the mascarpone with the egg until smooth.
- Add the parmesan & Cheddar cheese and stir well.
- Layer the vegetables in a baking dish.
- Pour the cheese mixture over the zucchini and sprinkle the Mozzarella on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.