This is my take on the British dish, cottage pie, but has no potato and meat. Cauliflower is used as the mashed topping.
You could make this vegan by leaving out the cheese in the topping. Another spin on this is to use a minced meat (beef or chicken perhaps) in the sauce too if you wish. I made the bottom spicy as I liked the combination of the spicy vegetables with the creamy, cheesy topping. Omit this is you want. Go crazy, have a play around with it and enjoy the mashed cauliflower!
In terms of time, it is best to cook the cauliflower and leeks first. Whilst they are cooking, start the bottom layer. Then you can start the mashing of the cooked cauliflower whilst the bottom layer bubbles nicely on the stove. That's what I love about cooking...the timing! Can be down to a perfect art and is the ballet of the kitchen!
Cauliflower & Leek Topped Vegetable Pie
- 1 cauliflower trimmed and cut into florets
- 2 large leeks washed and thinly sliced
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese omit for a vegan version
- 1 eggplant aubergine, cut into 2 cm pieces
- 3 red peppers de-seeded and chopped
- 1 onion peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic peeled and chopped
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbslspn thyme
- 1 tblspn oregano
- 1 tblspn dried parsley
- 1 tspn chilli powder
- ¼ tspn salt
- ¼ tspn pepper
- 2 -3 tblspn coconut oil
- Place the cauliflower into a saucepan of water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes until cooked. Drain.
- Place the leeks into another saucepan of water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10-12 minutes until soft. Drain.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the onion and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes on a medium heat until soft.
- Add the eggplant, stirring until it is brown and cooked through. You may need to add more oil as eggplant soaks up the oil like a dry sponge!
- Add the peppers and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the chilli powder and tin tomatoes. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Mash drained cauliflower and add in the Parmesan cheese (if required). Add the salt, pepper, thyme and oregano and mix thoroughly.
- Add in the leeks and mix well.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Place the tomato and vegetable mixture in a casserole dish. Spread over evenly.
- Place the cauliflower mixture on top of the vegetable mixture and spread out with a fork. Sprinkle cheese on top if you wish.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Eat and enjoy!