Turnip hash browns are a great low carb alternative to potato hash browns. This is a recipe you could play around with different spices and flavourings.
These were an immediate hit and would have been gorgeous served with a side of eggs….next time! I am pondering whether this could be cooked up in batches the night before and just heated through in the morning to save time. Will try and revert. Still, a nice low carb alternative to the hash brown and tasty too!
I used thyme and garlic powder to flavour this but you could use your herb/spice of choice. Paprika would be quite nice..perhaps on the next batch. You can cook these in small batches or spread over a small frying pan. You just need a steady hand with the spatula!
- 1 cup turnip, grated
- 1 small onion, grated
- 1/2 cup courgette (zucchini) grated, moisture squeezed out
- 1 tspn fresh thyme
- 1 tspn garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 2 tblspn olive oil or butter
- Mix the ingredients together in a bowl.
- Heat the oil/butter in a frying pan.
- Add the mixture in the pan in small batches and cook gently until golden brown on one side.
- Flip and cook until the other side is golden.
- Eat and enjoy!
- Makes 2
- Nutrition – Each :: 142 Calories; 12g Fat; 2g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 8g Net Carb