Cauliflower hash browns are a great breakfast dish or even as a light lunch side dish. Soft inside and crispy outside, these low carb hash browns taste as good as potatoes and are also gluten-free.
This is a delicious low carb alternative to traditional hash browns made from potato, using the wonderful cauliflower yet again! I cooked these for breakfast and the only complaint that I got from the Chief Taster was that there was not enough as he could have eaten a plateful of these.
This recipe for delicious cauliflower healthy hash browns is easy to make and only takes 15 to 20 minutes to cook. Try it tonight! If you like hash browns try turnip in place of potatoes too.
CARBS IN CAULIFLOWER HASH BROWNS
A single potato hash brown can have up to 18 grams net carbohydrates but these tasty keto cauliflower hash browns have just 3 grams of net carbs. Making them a great recipe for a keto diet. This may vary depending upon the size of your hash browns.
Grab your cauliflower rice and start cooking!
- Cauliflower rice - we use 3 cups of cauliflower rice before it's cooked. One cup of cauliflower rice measures just over 107g. A medium head of cauliflower should yield about 3 cups.
- Onion - chopped spring onion could be substituted.
- Cheese - Cheddar cheese can be used by itself or add a mixture of parmesan cheese and even mozzarella cheese. Parmesan is a firmer cheese and binds well.
- Seasonings - this can be used to your own taste. Add different herbs or spices.
HOW TO MAKE CAULIFLOWER HASH BROWNS
You can cook cauliflower hash browns in the air fryer, oven or fry them in a pan.
Squeeze the water from the cooked cauliflower rice.
Mix the cauliflower rice with the cheese, onion, egg and seasonings.
Form cauliflower patties into square shapes.
Air fry, bake or fry.
AIR-FRYER HASH BROWNS V BAKED HASH BROWNS
The texture of cauliflower hash browns vary upon the method of cooking:
- Pan fried - These worked out browner and slightly less firm.
- Oven baked - The hash browns hold their shape well with a softer golden colour.
- Air Fried - Results in a crispier hash brown but still soft inside.
We preferred the air fried hash browns with the air fryer being a great way to reheat them too. It's purely an individual preference but try them all and let us know which method you prefer.
Any leftovers (not in our house with the Chief Taster a big fan of these!) can be stored in the fridge. Store them in an airtight container and they will last up to 4 days. Reheat them in the air fryer, pan on the stove or microwave.
USING LEFTOVER CAULIFLOWER RICE
This would be a great way to use any left over cauliflower rice that you may have too! You could add other spices, herbs or chopped peppers too! I like chopped jalapenos for my cauliflower hash browns with a bit of bite.
WATCH THE VIDEO ON MAKING THEM
We have made these with uncooked cauliflower rice and the result is a more crunchier hash brown. Cook them for another 5-8 minutes to ensure that they are cooked thoroughly.
Once seasoned and cooked, there is not a strong cauliflower taste to them. Using a strong Cheddar cheese helps too.
Yes you can but you will need to remove any excess water to prevent soggy hash browns
If you make these ahead of time, shape them, then store in an airtight container with layers of parchment paper between them. They will be good for a day in the fridge.
These freeze well and are handy to have to hand. Once they are completely cool, wrap them in parchment paper to prevent sticking and place them in a zip lock bag or air tight container. They should last up to 2 months in the freezer.
If you are having trouble forming the hash browns due to a soggy cauliflower mixture, this will be as a result of not squeezing enough water from the cauliflower rice. Place the mixture in the fridge for 30 minutes to help firm it up. Or you could add almond flour to the mixture. It may slightly change the taste though.
Cauliflower Hash Browns
- 3 cups Cauliflower rice
- ½ Onion finely chopped
- ¾ cup Cheddar Cheese (or mix of Mozzarella/Parmesan) grated
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black pepper
Prepare the Cauliflower Rice
- Place the cauliflower in a bowl and microwave for 5 minutes.
- Allow to cool enough to handle and squeeze the excess water from the cauliflower rice by either using a nut bag, muslin cloth or strong kitchen towel.
Making the Cauliflower Hash Browns
- Place the cauliflower rice in a large mixing bowl with the chopped onion, cheese and seasonings. Stir well to mix.
- Using your hands, form little patties from the cauliflower mixture and place them on a plate or board. We make them square shaped but any shape can be made.
Air Fry Cauliflower Hash Browns
- Preheat the air fryer for 5 minutes as per the manufacturer's instructions.
- Lightly spray the air fryer basket with cooking oil and place the hash browns in a single layer in it. Cook at 200C/4050F degrees for 15 minutes, turning over after 10 minutes until golden and crispy.
Pan Fry Cauliflower Hash Browns
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan on a medium heat.
- Place the cauliflower patties in the pan and gently press down with a spatula to flatten.
- Cook on each side for 5-8 minutes until golden.
Oven Bake Cauliflower Hash Browns
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the hash browns on the baking tray and bake for 20 minutes, turning over half way through cooking, until both sides are golden.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.