This simple egg and vegetable breakfast loaf is a colourful and healthy start to the day. It makes a great centre piece for a brunch too.
When you follow, a healthy diet having eggs for breakfast can become monotonous. Some people like routine, others like variation in their meal planning. If the idea of another plate of scrambled eggs in the morning makes you quietly sob, then try this healthy breakfast loaf recipe.
Just as a frittata is a great way to use any vegetables or meat sitting on your fridge shelf, an egg breakfast loaf has the same principle. Just add any ingredients or even some cheese for a fulfilling and an appealing dish. Anyone can bake a healthy egg breakfast recipe. It’s basically a frittata baked in a bread loaf tin.
For this egg breakfast loaf, I used grilled peppers and spinach. Mainly because I had just purchased a large jar of grilled peppers. They were cheaper than buying a bag full of peppers and since they were already grilled and core removed it was my shopping bargain of the day! The spinach was because I love spinach and wanted some colour to the dish. If you start the day with something colourful it can only be uplifting. Mind you, eating chocolate cake for breakfast would still give me the same uplift….
The first time I made this I just threw everything together without noting the ingredient measurements, thinking it would just be okay but not blog recipe worthy. I slapped myself as I munched a warm piece. Then gave myself a wedgie when I ate a slice cold. It was delicious and definitely blog recipe worthy. I had to look at the photos that fortunately I took to try and remember what I used. Second time round I was more organised with my trusty pad and pen by my side.
Breakfast egg loaf
If you find that you don’t have the time for breakfast and have just enough time to shower and dress yourself before heading off to the daily commute, perhaps make this the night before. Cut a couple of slices and pack them with you to munch when you get to work. Don’t skip a meal, just plan ahead.
As well as breakfast, you could have this sliced for lunch served with a salad. Pack a few slices, or the whole egg vegetable breakfast loaf for a picnic too.
- 2 Red peppers, grilled, skins and seeds removed
- 1 Yellow pepper, grilled, skins and seeds removed
- 10 Eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk/cream
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup Spinach, cooked
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Seasoning of choice (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Grease a bread loaf tin (I use a 5 inch x 10 inch tin)
- Slice the peppers into 1 cm strips.
- Lay the peppers on the base of the tin, alternating the colours and ensuring that they fit next to each other. This will be the top of the egg loaf, so you want to ensure that there are no gaps for the egg mixture to spill into.
- Beat the eggs thoroughly. Add the milk and season.
- Add the spring onions and the spinach.
- Pour the egg mixture into the loaf tin.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes until firm and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let it stand for 10 minutes before removing.
- Slice and enjoy!
Nutritional Info per slice – 117 Calories, 8g Fat, 8g Protein, 4g Total Carbs, 1g Fibre, 3g Net Carbs