This keto red pepper soup is an easy recipe with rich flavours and a vibrant colour. Roasted red peppers are cooked with tomatoes for a thick and hearty low carb soup. This soup is also gluten free, paleo and vegetarian.
Dried red chili is added for an extra flavour without being too spicy.
Carbs in Roasted Red Peppers
Bell peppers are low in carbs but they vary between colours with green bell peppers being the lowest in carbs and yellow the highest. A red pepper is under 5.3g net carbs per cup.
Red peppers are high in vitamin C, A and E. They are delicious raw with a slight sweet taste.
How to make keto red pepper soup
This soup is so easy to make. The red peppers, onion and garlic are roasted for a richer flavour. Then added to the other ingredients and blended. Easy!
The red peppers can also be grilled until charred and their skins removed.
What to serve with keto red pepper soup
Enjoy the classic flavour combination of a tomato soup and grilled cheese but keep it low carb with our keto grilled cheese recipe.
Can you freeze this soup?
This red pepper soup freezes very well as there is no dairy in it. Too freeze, allow the soup to completely cool. Then pour into a zip lock bag or air tight container. This soup should freeze for up to 3 months.
To skip the roasting and for a quicker soup, use a jar of roasted red peppers. Saute the onion and garlic, then add the other ingredients as per the recipe card,
Replace the red chili with fresh basil for a fresh flavour.
Add heavy cream to the blended soup for a creamier soup.
More Low Carb Red Pepper Recipes
This recipe was originally posted in January 2013. The photographs and content have been updated but the recipe remains the same.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Roasted Red Pepper & Tomato Soup
- 4 red peppers
- 1 medium onion peeled and halved
- 3 cloves garlic peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 14.5 oz canned tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried red chilis
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Cut the peppers into half and deseed them.
- Place the peppers, onions and garlic on a baking sheet and drizzle the olive oil over them.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place the red peppers in a zip lock bag for 5 minutes to loosen the charred skin.
- Remove the charred skins from the peppers.
- Place the peppers, onion and garlic into a saucepan and add the tin of tomatoes, dried red chilis and vegetable stock. Season and cook on a medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and blend with either a hand blender or pour the soup into a blender and blitz until smooth. Add more vegetable stock if the soup is too thick. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Serve and enjoy
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.