This eggplant parmigiana is a version of a Northern Italian dish and is almost a version of lasagne without the pasta. It is simply layers of vegetable, cheese and tomato sauce. It is a low carb Mediterranean stodge recipe in a dish.
This baked eggplant recipe is a colourful dish and very delicious. As verified by two of my dogs who helped themselves to a dish of this when I was foolishly cooling it on the kitchen counter. I now know that my dogs are extra bendy, and ALL areas of the kitchen counters are off limits without adult supervision.
I don’t blame the dogs, as this simple baked eggplant recipe is as delicious as it is simple to make. I enjoy eggplant Parmesan, but this is a more fresher dish without the coating on the eggplant. It’s lighter too but with no compromise on taste too.
Although the recipe for this baked eggplant dish has the addition of red peppers, you can cheat and use ready grilled red peppers. As long as they are in oil and have no sugars! You could add other ingredients to this dish to make it your own, Ground beef or perhaps a layer of spinach would work well.
This baked eggplant parmigiana is so simple and tastes like a light version of lasagne but fresher. Grill your aubergines to keep them from being too greasy too. It may be time consuming to grill all of the layers of eggplant and red peppers, but the dish is worth it. Put on a series of Netflix as you work to make time go faster. Or like me, have 4 dogs who demand your time and their tapping of their doggie watch for playtime will make the time in the kitchen fly past! Don’t get me started on the demanding cats who push notes with threats on them when I visit the bathroom.
Other Eggplant Recipes
Baked Eggplant Red Pepper Parmigiana
- 2 red peppers deseeded & quartered
- 2 eggplants
- 2 cups low carb tomato sauce
- 2 cups Mozzarella cheese grated
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Place the red peppers under the grill and grill for 5-6 minutes on each side until charred and tender. Leave until cool to handle and remove the charred skins.
- Cut the eggplants into thick slices lengthwise, brush with oil and place under the grill. Grill until each side is golden brown.
- Spoon a little of the tomato sauce on the base of a large baking dish and cover with a layer of eggplant and peppers. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat these layers until all the vegetables are used and you finish with a layer of cheese. Sprinkle the grated Parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until bubbling and golden.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.