Cauliflower cheese stuffed peppers are a colourful and delicious low carb side dish. Or enjoy a couple with a side salad for a vegetarian lunch.
Roasted sweet red peppers make a perfect case for creamy cauliflower cheese. You could use yellow but I find the red sweeter, especially when roasted. A simple low carb & gluten free cheese sauce is slathered over cauliflower, which is then placed into a red pepper and baked.
Cauliflower cheese is one of my favourite low carb dishes and I like to play around with it to stop it becoming monotonous. Here, I have used it as a pepper filling for a great keto side dish. You can stuff and bake a pepper with cauliflower rice, so why not the cauliflower itself?!
Cauliflower Cheese Stuffed Peppers Tips
- For the cheese sauce you can add other cheese for extra flavour. A strong Gouda, Parmesan or Fontina would be delicious.
- Red or yellow peppers are best for this baked dish. Green peppers are not sweet enough and would be a bit bitter when roasted.
- This dish could be made ahead by preparing the dish ready to bake, cover and keep in the fridge until you are ready to cook it. It reheats well, as testified by the Chief Taster who has the leftovers for his lunch the next day!
- Try mashing the cauliflower cheese before spooning it into the peppers. That works just as well. (I found that out by accident when I overcooked my cauliflower!)
- Instead of heavy cream, use sour cream for extra creamy cauliflower cheese.
OTHER CAULIFLOWER CHEESE DISHES TO BAKE
Cauliflower Cheese Stuffed Pepper
- 1 cauliflower, cut into florets medium size
- 4 red peppers
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese grated (keep some aside for the topping)
- 1/2 cup cream, heavy
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place the cauliflower florets in saucepan with water, cover boil and simmer for 10-12 minutes until slightly soft.
- Drain and set aside.
- In a saucepan, gently heat the cream cheese, and add about 100g of the Cheddar cheese until melted. Add the mustard, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Stir until smooth.
- Add the cauliflower to the cheese sauce and cover well.
- Cut the peppers in half and de-seed them.
- Place the cauliflower cheese into the pepper halves and sprinkle the remaining Cheddar cheese over them.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 180C/350F degrees.
Any nutritional analysis on the website is based on an estimate, calculated by http://nutritiondata.self.com from the individual ingredients in each recipe. Variations may occur for various reasons, including product availability and food preparation. We make no representation or warranty of the accuracy of this information.